Dress Etiquette OR "camo'd survivalist types"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prizefighter, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

I was reading through the "Weirdos You've Met While Gun Shopping" thread when I noticed a couple of gents discussing their annoyance with fellows like these "camo'd survivalist types." Having just today picked up some SWAT boots from the local military surplus store for outdoors-ing in - I liked them better than the $40-$60 more expensive boots at REI - I thought I'd ask about it with the people I turn to first about anything firearms or outdoors related. ;)

Naturally, I think going around wearing military patches, emblems, or a t-shirt with "ARMY" or the like printed on it if you haven't been in the service is silly at best. But there's a lot of functional, useful, comfortable gear that happens to be camo-patterned or olive drab. Plus, I'll admit it, I'm a red-blooded twenty-something firearms enthusiast; I'm partial to the "tactical" look sometimes.

I wouldn't go to the grocery store in BDUs. But for hiking, shooting, and other outings, I have been looking up items such as vests and MOLLE packs. But I don't like the idea of fellow enthusiasts or other people I'd respect labeling me a poseur. Do I need to find a shirt that says "NOT ARMY?" :p

Edit:
    Incidentally, there's an article in the October Guns & Ammo that got me thinking about it, too.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I think that while you're out shooting, hiking, etc. that all the "tactical stuff is fine. But if thats your 24/7 attire and you wear it to church on Sundays, that may be a little overboard. (But then again at some churches...):rolleyes:
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

well i wear a couple camo jackets here regularly as they are waterproof and wind proof and saves me wearing my dryazabone gear , pants i'm a jeans person ... my hat however was a issue one and i still wear it as i aint found better , keep rain off me sun off me and mounts fair few shooting club membership badges , RSL badges and other badges that i use regularly like my aoob badge ( aoob.com.au)
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

I've still got quite an array of military garb, and it still serves me well in the outdoors. I've probably worn my BDU field jacket more for shooting than I ever did in the Army.

Our hilarity on the 'Weirdos' thread was directed at those clingon tacticool mall ninjas who think the clothes make the man, and may or may not own anything more lethal than a paintball gun. :D
  5. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

For a lot of folks "growing up poor" the Army/Navy Store was/is the "bargain outlet" of choice ! Good utilitarian clothes that wear well for an affordable price ! Not 24/7 garb to be sure, but for working utilities who cares about color/shade/pattern ? >MW
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

While I was still in the Army, it used to piss me off to no end to see people wearing "partial" uniforms, such as wearing the BDU pants around. I would not allow my children to put them on and I would never even think about it for myself. I might stop at the grocery store on the way home and be in full BDU's, but that was my uniform. Now that I am retired, it still bothers me a little but no where near as much. I still won't wear a partial uniform unless I am going hunting and then only to and from my hunting area.
  7. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

I do not wear any camo currently in use (ACUs, etc). I will wear older camo (BDU or tiger stripe) pants OR shirt OR jacket.....never a full set unless going hunting.

No patches, ranks or insignia of any kind.

I really dont care what anyone else wears as long as they are not trying to look like a soldier and not actually be one. VERY disrespectful IMO.

I've never been in so I avoid looking like I have/am. I do work directly with soldiers every day and have the utmost respect for them. I would kill or die for them in an instant.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The military has rules about wearing military issued clothing, either while on duty, or off duty. That old field jacket they issued me was absolutly the best cold/wet weather gear I have ever owned. I've wore a couple of them. Today I do wear cammo shirts for everyday wear, but the pants, and shirt together are for hunting.
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Eh, anybody that appreciates firearms and uses them in the safe, directed manner is cool in my book. Sure some people are a little different, but oh well, they aren't bugging me. The only camo I have is a pear of camo pants, and it's not even real camo.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  10. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I don't own anything Camo. That puts me in the big minority living in West Virginia. :D I love to shoot but never got into hunting.
  11. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

My only camo is of the soft touch store bought variety and only worn hunting.
  12. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

You see a lot of people in northern Ca wearing camo shirts and pants all the time, not sure what they are doing, trucks are all muddy, strange gear in the pickup like lots of shovels, containers etc., no guns in the rack though, so they are not hunting, must be some kind of regional style, or club or sumpin :)
  13. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

For me it's shorts and a (usually Harley Davidson) t-shirt one size too big or jeans and the same shirt. If I need to "dress up," I tuck the t-shirt in and throw a button down over the top, but not tucked. I still have a desire to conceal. All my old army gear is in the closet. I may have worn my old style field jacket a handful of times since '94. I do still wear some of my old PT t-shirts occasionally. I don't get into the tacticool clothing, but it's your dime and your taste. Don't worry about what others think. It serves your purpose and that's all that matters.
  14. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i see no problem wearing military clothing. patterns that are no longer used by the regular military are preferred, but so long as you don't have unit emblems or rank insignia i don't see the problem. remember, we're all in the militia, and camo is militia uniform.
  15. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Camo and tactical stuff is required here in Idaho.
    Glen