Driving with loaded gun in vehicle

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by gun runner, Oct 10, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I dont know if this is the right section of the forum, Im sorry if it isnt but is it legal in Texas? When Im driving around the farm, I always carry me my loaded rifle with me either in the vehicle or atv. Never did on the highways though. Does anybody know?

Im talking about a rifle. Not a handgun.

Oh yeah, I know the mods dont like having to move threads but I figured this was the right section of the forum since I figured The right to keep and bear arms.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Yep! It's legal now, didn't used to be, but the laws have changed.
  3. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thanks for that info.
  4. al45lc

al45lc New Member

The Texas law states and restricts "handgun"(s) specifically, and seems to be silent on restrictions of rifles and shotguns in Motor vehicles, without reference to condition. (loaded or unloaded, or cased for that matter)
    It is NOT uncommon in the west for this to be so, particularly in rural areas, however some municipalities do restrict loaded rifles and shotguns, so you must look at local restrictions as well.
    Here on Colorado, we don't restrict rifles and shotguns in MOST areas EXCEPT when in engaged in Big game hunting, a nannyist restriction for those hunters of less than good sense.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

You are welcome! Rifle, shotgun, or pistol, are all OK, so long as they meat federal requirements. Just don't get caught with an illegal knife in the vehicle! A is the key.
    A. any knife with a blade over five and one half inches
    B. hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown
    C. dagger including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard
    D. bowie knife
    E. sword
    F. spear
    G. machete

We have to work on this, and it is being done right now. My survival knife is a Bowie, and I use it when camping. What farmer, or rancher, doesn't carry a machete in the truck? These laws are draconian, and must be changed. Just like the laws about not having a fire arm in the vehicle. We got that changed about a dozen years ago. One word of caution though, here in TX the law that allows you to carry a rifle, shotgun, or pistol in your car, are not worded clearly, and controversy has arisen because of that. It seams that there are those that would like to keep guns away from everyone, and they argue that if the gun can be seen, it is illegal, and is tantamount to disorderly conduct. So keep it out of sight!
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

What if you bought a new set of butcher and steak knifes for the kitchen? :confused:
  7. carver

carver Moderator

Just show the cop the receipt, and tell him you are on your way home.
  8. 45nut

45nut New Member

It's always been legal to have a loaded longarm in your vehicle in Texas. When Charles Whitman started shooting from the tower, Texans pulled their 30-30's, .243's and 30-06's out of their trucks and returned fire. Really! :eek: :D:D Gotta love Texas!

What changed was having a loaded handgun in your vehicle. Now, as long as the handgun is concealed, it is legal. Before you had to worry about the "travel" exemption and that the LEO wouldn't haul you in. Because of the change, now people can be safe without a CHL.

I have a machete, hatchet, USMC Camillus fighting knife in my truck. My machete and hatchet is in a box behind my truck seat that locks down and I can't open it while driving. So, I feel safe there. My Camillus knife is in my door pocket and might get me into trouble, but too bad. I'm not going to knuckle under to every stoopid law.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

long guns are illegal to have loaded in a vehicle here in WA, even handguns cannot be loaded in the vehicle (on your person in the vehicle anyway) without a CCW. kinda sucks but sounds like TX is good in that dept.
  10. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

That is one of the many thing that I like about Texas.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I might be moving there next year for a bit (if I get picked for the job, fingers crossed), I've no doubt it will be a good experience!

My only gripe is that TX doesn't allow open carry, is that right?
  12. carver

carver Moderator

No open carry in TX, but it's (supposed to be) legal in LA. LA law states that your car is an extention of your home. Therefore you may carry a gun, loaded, anywhere in the car you want to. Stick that rifle in a truck gun rack in the rear window, it's OK by the law. If you leave it there, well, you probably won't own it long!
  13. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In Illinois we are lucky they let US in our cars. They only allow this so we can pay our taxes...
  14. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

You said driving around the farm so that's your property? I don't know what laws dictates what you can carry on your own property.
  15. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

Interesting. I drive from SW Ohio to visit my son, DIL and Grandson in Fayetteville, AR. I have an Ohio CCL but am very sqeemish when a portion of the trip takes us through Southern IL. I assume that I always needed to unload my Ruger LCP and lock the ammo in the back. Is that not so?
  16. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

This thread started about Texas laws. Not sure there are any relevant/trustworthy posts about IL law. I'm just glad I can avoid that state.
  17. carver

carver Moderator

IL, one of the few states I've never been in. There are several that I have no intentions of ever going to.
  18. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

The wife and I were both born in central IL, and lived there until we married and moved to Alaska. Returned there five years later and stayed for about ten years before moving to TN.

Selling your home in IL and re-investing in a home in another state does NOT exempt you from IL Capital Gains Tax.
    We had to pay on the ENTIRE appreciation of our home in IL during the huge land-boom they had back in the 70's. A nice going away present from the Land of Lincoln.

IL is a great place to be from.
    Far from.
  19. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

It's legal here in Wisconsin now to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle, but it's gotta be out of plain sight and you have to have a conceal carry permit to do it.
  20. lilmule

lilmule New Member

Regardless of legality,its wise to let them know,and keep hands where clearly can be seen.
    How would you like to proceed officer,and if he desires to be the only one armed dont take offense.Most are polite,some cautious,some nervous,those are the ones that worry me.Avoid the word gun,newbie pard will only hear that.