DRT frangible .40 S&W ammo

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by belercous, Oct 8, 2009.

1. belercous

belercous Former Guest

I just bought a box of this new personal defense ammo. At 4 yards I couldn't hit a gallon milk jug. (2 shots barely missed, but still that's not good) At well over $1.00/shot I expected a bit more. At the range, 15 yards, rested (not machine), fired thru a Glock 22 I got a pattern of well over 1 foot. Not exactly the accuracy I want in personal protection ammunition. Federal Hydrashock came in at about 2-1/4."
    Now I'm not too good with handguns, but this ammo is pretty well useless to me. Of course, it is not totally useless. It can always be held up as a bad example. Could be that this ammo don't take to polygonal rifling, but it really didn't do me no justice. I suppose that it being frangible is a good thing as the missed shots won't ricochet. Beware.
  2. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

It is advertised as causing horrific damage due to the rapid and complete fragmentation, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. It may well cause terrible wounds, but can in no way live up to the "Dead Right There" claim. Anytime you increase fragmentation for expanded wounding, you give up penetration which is extremely critical, especially in pistol calibers.
  3. kmc_xd40

kmc_xd40 New Member

sorry guys, I'm not sure i can agree with either of you. Now, i've not tried th DRT's although I have been curious about those rounds for a while but, the ammo is not what is going to make you accurate or not, practice and patience with the handgun your using, and handguns in general will improve your accuracy over time. proper trigger pull and breathing will help tremendously if you give it thought and time.

belercous, you said yourself your not that good with handguns so before you dismiss the ammo you should spend some more time at the range with cheaper reloads so that the expensive stuff will have better chance of hitting the target when it counts.

LurpyGeek, penetration isn't everything - the special ops soldiers that need close quarters weapons have been complaining about the M-14 5.56 rounds for a long time because they need 2 or more rounds to put a bad guy down with the smaller caliber since it will occasionally "go right through". Hence Barret arms making the 6.68 special, the 6.68spc is controllable like the 5.56×45mm and has more power closer to the 7.62×51mm. I personally would rather have a more expanded wound within the cavity of the carcass creating more internal damage than a single "zippy" hole straight through.

just my 2 cents here...grain of salt anyone? :rolleyes: