Drug testing welfare recipients

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ARB, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

Is your state adopting this proposal? Looks like Missouri is activating it, although, state democrats are trying to filibuster it. I know that alcohol is not an illegal substance, but I think that the testing of this should somehow be incorporated. I'm sure that it will never happen. Could you imagine if everyone on welfare had to wear an ankle monitor? Here comes the ACLU!:eek:
  2. topper

topper New Member

If the workers in any government or private business are subjected to random testing, then most certainly should the welfare recipients be tested and often for drugs, alcohol, tobacco and transfat and other illegal substances. No test equals no welfare check. Any positive for illegal substances equals no welfare check.
  3. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

Don't know about Tobacco and Transfat, but drugs and abusive levels of alcohol, hell yeah!
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

They don't have it in Wisconsin.

It's a hard call because it's in a way unfair to people who are unemployed because we know that not everyone on government aid is a drug user. And we aren't drug testing bailout recipients or investigating them for corruption are we? But at the same time there ARE people out there who abuse the system.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  5. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Or 40 hours of whatever menial labor (picking trash on the roadside comes to mind...weather be damned) is needed in that area. No work NO PAY!
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

+1

Why do these folks get free money?
    PUT 'EM TO WORK!:mad:

In Washington we have one of the highest gas taxes in the nation.
    The people voted for it under the guise that it would help road maintenance.
    HAH!

Roads here need more maintenance than they ever have.
    The work simpy isn't getting done (imagine that).:rolleyes:

This is a shovel, and this is asphalt. Put the asphalt in the hole.
    Don't know how to clean a toilet? Let me show you.
    Pick up the litter and put it in the bag. When the bag gets full, set it over there.
    No machinery required, so no test needs to be done.

People, this isn't rocket surgery.:mad:
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I would be for this idea. If they are unemployed, the state gives them a job to do in return for giving them unemployment benefits or welfare money. However many hours they work, that's however many hours they get paid for. Wouldn't be a chain gang either because they'd be getting paid for the work. And they'd be providing a public service too.
  8. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Here's an idea, stop giving money to people that don't deserve it. Get all the bums off their butts and working. Why should my money I work for fund people that are too lazy to try?
  9. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Test the congress-critters too.
  10. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I am not in favor of the testing mainly because there are those that had lead meaningful and productive lives and for no fault of their own became unemployable. Could have been that a dibilitating injury on or off of the job made them unable to function. Many people are dysfunctional because of mental illness. And what about our nations soldiers some of which returned home maimed and mentally unstable?

Nope, I am not in favor of it at all. The government is invasive enough already into our lives. Once they start something it seems to grow well beyond the original intentions of the programs. It would only be a matter of time before they would require drug/alcohol testing to get your tax refund or Social Security.

Some people think that there should be drug/alcohol testing before you are eligible for unemployment benefits. I don't know about other states but in West Virginia we pay for unemployment insurance through payroll deductions each payday. To disqualify one from benefits because they tanked a drug/alcohol test is unacceptable.

Yes these programs are abused by many but they also help many that are in need of the services. Time and money spent on testing would be better put to identifying fraud and abuse of the system and cutting off the funds when circumstances dictate so. And I do believe that able bodied recipients of the services should be put to work to offset the cost of the services. West Virginia nas been decent about that but not fool proof. Also WV has a 5 year accumulative total of time that recipients of welfare can receive the services in their life time.
  11. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

can't test them, they aren't human.
  12. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

Wellfare is a separate program from Social Security and Disability, you know that right?
  13. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

My wife was on welfare when I met her. She'd rather have had a job.
    The big problem is, in this area a person just about has to have a vehicle to get a job. Welfare doesn't pay enough for a person to both eat and transport themself. This means no real job search is possible. I've seen it in action up close. It's a catch-22, no doubt about that. She had to have help from family and friends (and me) to get out of the system.
    As to drug testing, I'm not against that. In my wife's case I can say that she's lived a "straighter" life than I have. She's never even tried marijuana, and almost never has more than 2 drinks in an evening.
  14. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I am very much aware of that. :D
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I am also not in favor of the testing of welfare recipients. Not because I believe it is not fair to them, but because I believe that Government has no place in any of this. Put them to work, give them a pay check instead of a handout. Get the Government out of the private lives of American Citizens. The jails are already to full. We don't need more inmates, we need more productive people. All those in jail should also have to work. When I was a teenager I got myself into trouble with the law, and was sent to reform school. There we planted, and grew our own food. Raised our own dairy heard, ran the laundry, cooked the food, and served it. We did it all. What has happened to our system? Why can't the inmates in our penal system work for a living? Being behind bars doesn't mean that you get a free ride. The worst part about being in prison these days is the other inmates. Make them work, and work hard. Maybe they won't want to come back!