Dry Film Lubricant ??

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by mikeb1, Jan 28, 2011.

1. mikeb1

mikeb1 New Member

I'm in the process of cleaning my 1858 Remington and noticed I have a can of Rz-50 Dry film lubricant says it contains no oil or silicone. Anyone have any experience using this?? Sounds like may be better than that wd40 stuff

www.rz-50.com

Thanks

mikeb1
  2. grcsat

grcsat Member

Hi,

WD40 is great for cleaning, however it makes a very poor long term lubricant because it evaporates in time. WD40 was originaly designed as a water despersant. even though it makes a good SHORT TERM lubricant. I myself used to use Hoppe"s no.9 for cleaning and then a very light coating of any gun oil or my wife's sewing machine oil.

If you were in some crazy/extream weather , (like Canada ) then I would use a a dry lubricant and then only on the enternal parts. The outside still gets some form of oil to protect it from rust.

Hope I answered your question.
    Gary