Dry Fire Question

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

lugerlvr
    (1/4/02 1:53:41 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Dry Fire Question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently purchased a H&K USP .40 and was wondering if it is ok to dry fire the gun without a 'snap cap'. The person I bought it from said that it was fine and actually good for the gun to be dry fired. I've heard so much on how you should never pull the trigger unless you have a live round or a 'snap cap'. Thanks.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/4/02 2:27:41 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Dry Fire Question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unless you just go nuts, its not going to hurt. If you intend to practice your sight alignment, etc, by dry-firing extensively it would be best to get the snapcaps. They're cheap enough.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/4/02 4:52:15 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Dry Fire Question
    Thot "Dry Fire" was when ya eat napkins after having a few bouts with a Bloody Mary......

Real question: Who is a quality supplier of "Snap Caps"?
    Charlie D
    Thanx

Edited by: Different name at: 1/4/02 4:53:25 pm

gpostal
    (1/4/02 5:05:34 pm)
    "dry fire" is what i do after white castles

"wet fire" well thats another thread

kdub01
    (1/4/02 7:03:30 pm)
    Doc gave it to ya', straight. Dry firing a centerfire will not cause excessive damage unless done excessively. I always wince, tho, when dropping the hammer onto an empty chamber. Just my nature not to want to do it. Word of caution - NEVER, NEVER dry fire a rimfire!!! Gave a family heirloom Savage Mod 1913 .22 pump to a nephew. Little sucker played with it after I cautioned him not to, and he peened the chamber so that a cartridge wouldn't chamber and dulled the firing pin nose to the extent it barely indents the cases anymore. Naturally, no replacement parts are available. Little Bastard!!!

Bob In St Louis
    (1/4/02 9:17:42 pm)
    Yup - centerfire OK, rimfire - a No-no. The recent batch of Romanian 22 trainer rifles imported are wonderful little guns. However, they have a reputation of quickly breaking the fire pins from dry firing. At a recent gun show, I had two Chinese 22 trainers, and two Polish 22 trainers sitting on my table. I closely watched anyone who picked them up, and warned them if they even looked like they might dry fire them.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gun runner john
    (1/5/02 10:52:16 am)
    The general advice that centerfire is OK to dry-fire and rimfire is not is not universal. I've seen Luger and CZ-52 firing pins broken, and I received a P-38 with a broken firing pin that I suspect was from dry-firing. Also, most recent Ruger rimfires (20 years or so) have a block to protect the chamber and firing pin, and you can dry-fire them all day without harm.

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/5/02 11:03:25 am)
    GunRunnerJohn -

Does that include the 10/22?