Dry Firing Camper???

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by charleslee, Aug 1, 2009.

1. charleslee

charleslee New Member

I asked Browning Technical Support if, after cleaning/firing the gun & it is cocked since you have to open the sile, is it OK to dry fire or would it damage gun. He said shouldn't do it too many times & OK to leave it cocked for a short time. Asked about Snap Caps & he said can be hard to find, suggested using a spent casing after cleaning all sweat off. I tried this but it wouln't feed from mag. Should I go w/ the Snap Caps? Can they be used over and over or just 1 each trigger pull? Thanks, I don't want to damage my gun.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

.22 snap caps are not the most common thing but they are out there. Try Mid Way or Brownells. Snap Caps can be used over and over for quit a while. Some of the older .22's are not designed for " Dry Firing" and will gouge the chamber where the firing pin strikes. If the tech rep stated that occasional dry firing would not hurt your firearm, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you plan on constant dry firing to practice trigger control, then by all means go to snap caps. Probably isn't needed but it will make you feel better :)
  3. Airdale

Airdale Member

I bought some snap caps for a 9mm pistol and they claim they're good for, at least, 5000 times got 5 in the package so that's 25,000 dry fires!
  4. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Leave it cocked. When it quits going "bang", replace the hammer spring.
  5. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

6. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Load the empty .22 case into the chamber by hand instead of trying to feed it from the magazine.