dry storage

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by stumper1300, Sep 25, 2012.

1. stumper1300

stumper1300 New Member

Not sure if this is a good spot for this, but here goes.

I have a problem. I have a bunch of guns that I have purchased for the sole reason of profiting from them and some that I purchased to pass on to my nephew as he gets old enough (currently 1 1/2) .

I don't have an area that I can climate control well enough to prevent rust. Last night I had a brain fart......if I were to coat them in clp and vaccum seal them, would this protect them and prevent rust?
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have several guns that are wrapped in plastic bags that aren't even sealed. the guns are liberally sprayed with oil, the bag is wrapped around and stored away. I check them every couple of years and no problems. I have not had to re oil them and they are just fine. I would suggest the you vacuum seal them (which vacuum sealing them is optimum) and the wrap each one in some kind of cloth and you will be good to go.

Just make sure the barrels get swabbed out good before they get shot.
  4. stumper1300

stumper1300 New Member

Thank you,thank you thank you!!!
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Silicon impregnated Gun Socks worked well for me. (with the oiling and such)
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Sir i have some vacum bags meant for blankets but use them for long term storage

i've taken the wood and plastic off the weapons and put the metal parts in a oil bath then put them in the bags and sucked the air out with the wet and dry workshop vacum cleaner it dont look pretty , but thats ok

i put the first lot down like this in 2000 when i first saw them on sale and they are still there today and some i put in in 2003 i opened last year to sell and they where perfect

though did need a very good scrub to get clean , there was some oxidisation but in the oil itself not on the metal , dunno if i got it right , it may be metal gone into the oil

but they sure look good , blueing unchanged etc
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

For handguns, I use plain Zip-Loc freezer bags; they are inexpensive and come in two or three sizes. I spray the guns (not grips if wood) with G96 Gun Treatment and squeeze most of the air out of the bag. I keep the bags in cardboard boxes (most original boxes have room for the bag) in a safe with a Golden Rod dehumidifier. I have never tried to use a vacuum seal but have some guns kept in the bags for years with no problems.

Jim
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012