dual recoil spring???

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by chocoboy, Dec 7, 2003.

1. chocoboy

chocoboy New Member

guys, i'm planning to buy my 1st 1911 pistol. I'm looking at a kimber compact cdp. They say that it has a dual recoil spring and it gives you a milder recoil compared to other 1911 pistols that have ordinary recoil spring. Does the dual recoil spring really lessen the recoil in a 1911 pistol? Any insight on this will be well appreciated... thanks in advance. :)
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi chocoboy.......welcome to TFF.

Hmmmm.....I don't know, but if the secondary spring is a shorter and heavier one (perhaps inside the main recoil spring), it would cushion the slide from slamming into the slide stop.

That would tend to be easier on the gun, but I'm not sure it would lessen the recoil any.
  3. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i have a artical on this somewhere ,dangit i can't find it when i do i will post it with a pic og one broke down

if i remember right ,it is a dual guide rod that acts like a hydrolic shock ,along with the one peice spring
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I've got an Eclipse Ultra. The dual spring is more a function of getting the K Factor that you need in the length available. (Its gotta hold the slide and barrel together to get the bullet out and the pressure down before the link unlocks the barrell and slide.)Doesn't have that much to do with recoil. The Eclipse has a steel frame and that extra weight has more to do with recoil reduction than the spring. No hydraulics or anything in my pistol, just a standard guide rod.
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

the cdp is based on the ultra carry with a 7075-t7 aluminum frame ,it is listed as a "dual captured low efort recoil spring"

it could just be part of the spring is stiffer that the other , i don't really know

i have seen the hydrolic guide rods ,but i can't find were
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

The Eclipse is just a standard Ultra with a spiffy finish. Steel Frame, etc. I stumbled on a Custom Shop piece with the Ambi Safety, Checked front strap, night sites, etc - the dealer had ordered it and the custmer stuck him with it. Got it for the same price as a standard cuz the front nite site had "expired." Kimber's customer service fixed it right up. Its one of my favorite carry guns now.
  7. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

FOUND IT

i knew it was a bit odd

Attached Files:

• dan.jpg
      dan.jpg
      File size:
      32.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The duel recoil spring is for function only.

It will not lessen recoil.
  9. chocoboy

chocoboy New Member

thanks guys for the info :) Now, i'm just curious how much recoil the cdp's have compared to the steel framed kimbers. I guess, as long as it's a kimber... it will do for me :p Again, any CDP owners... please enlighten me on my dilema... your help will be very much appreciated ;)
  10. plunker

plunker New Member

The Kimber compacts come with a 4" barrel and One recoil spring. The dual recoil spring you are looking at is for the ultra which is a 3-31/2 barrel. The compact has the bull barrel.

I have the compact and it is very pleasant to shoot. It recoils less than the glock22c or a star pistol I had.
  11. plunker

plunker New Member

The cdp is a package that is available on most Kimber models. It stands for custom defense package. I am not sure how much internal changes that the package gives but there is a melt down (rounding of the edges), some added checkering on the front of the grip, and I believe night sights.

The basic compact is about $300.00 less than the compact CDP.

I went with the compact because of carry and that reading on the forms that out of any barrel shorter than 4" your round loses effectiveness and that the gun might not be as reliable as larger pistols. This being caused by the shorter cycle time of the small pistol. I have heard good things about the Ultra model though.

The compact has the shorter grip than the full size and a 4" barrel instead of the 5". I have the alloy frame on my compact and the recoil is very mild.
  12. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I have a full size Custom and the Eclipse Ultra. The ultra has more "flip" than the Custom. That being said, its not "bad" recoil, just "different." I have had no functioning problems with the Ultra - except for with the Factory mag. DON'T USE KIMBER MAGS EXCEPT AT THE RANGE. Get you some Wilsons ASAP for carry.

For comparison, my Ti Smith with .38+p's has a recoil much less managable than the Ultra.
  13. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

the cdp package also includes ,night sights ,30lpi front strap ,20lpi mainspring housing ,match grade barrel

custom 5"barrel
    pro 4" full grip
    compact 4 " officer grip
    ultra has a 3" officer grip

kimber

i plan on getting the custom around cristmas
  14. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

postal, we talking monitors, printers or kimbers here. hehehe!

i's knos whut ya ments tho! :cool:
  15. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

thanks tuck .lpi i will fix it ,you know were my mind is