DUCK AND COVER

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

LIKTOSHOOT
    (1/31/02 2:54:57 pm)
    Reply DUCK AND COVER
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since I have just come out of the flu stupor and 106 temp, I had some things come to mind, but one in peticular. I seem to notice more and more people (polititions mostly) using the phrase "GOD BLESS AMERICA". Don`t get me wrong, nothing bad in this phrase, except.

I have been using this phrase for a number of years....let me explain. A number of years back, my daughter (now fourteen) would say a prayer at Sundays dinner table with the family holding hands.....she would thank God for the fish, dogs, cats, friends, family and on and on and on......in the mean time ice had formed on the food. One day while sitting through this Sunday routine, I inadvertly blerted out..."GOD BLESS AMERICA!" to end the suffering of all and broke the hands around the table. Everyone gave me a staunch glare, but the deed was done and "I" felt better for it.

Now each Sunday from that day forward, if the prayer droned on...."GOD BLESS AMERICA!" start eating, but no one seemed to raise an eyebrow anymore and this became my normal responce at the Sunday table. A funny thing happened along this route of table speak. Each week as I said it, it seemed to mean more, and not just to me. I also began to practice this outside the family at other gatherings (close family and friends) when the table prayer began to drone on, we`ve all been there, right? At some point in time, this phrase took a life on.....on it`s own. This came to have more meaning each time is was spoken at the table.....it was saved for Sunday only....a day of thanks in our home...which was for the past week of life.

This has been the way for many-many-many years now and I do not see an end to this. Oh yes, I believed it long before any of this took place, but in looking back....I have no reason to understand, why that peticular phrase blerted from my mouth so many years ago and stuck from that day till now.

I am no better that anyone else, nor in writing this....do I feel special or on a higher plane and my point is this.

When you hear President Bush make this statement.....do you see people duck and cover. Do you see people fall down injured in the streets. Do Jewish people burn in their own jucies...do Buddist shudder...ect-ect-ect?? I don`t think so, so whats the problem with saying "GOD BLESS AMERICA" It doesn`t seem to offend as many as it used to, why not?

Because God truly did bless us and our Country and make no mistake about it........some of us remember that, and for those who do...."GOD BLESS YOU" Regards LTS

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 1/31/02 8:50:29 pm

ruffitt
    (1/31/02 3:18:22 pm)

Re: DUCK AND COVER
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RuffItt

Winter11
    (1/31/02 5:08:44 pm)
    WOW LTS... what a completely different side of you... don't get to see this often... it's nice!!

You know, I completely agree with you... Regardless of what Athiests may think, and don't get me wrong I am completely religously challenged, this country was founded upon the basis that God exists and people felt the need to praise God and ask for his blessings.... there is nothing wrong with this statement. Just wish most people understood its meaning and realize it is in no way harmful.

Always Faithful

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (1/31/02 6:15:13 pm)
    Reply Re: DUCK AND COVER
    Winter, I can assure you in the most truthful of ways, that the atheists amongst us, are usually the most ferverent prayer-mongers when the rockets get to falling and the sharpnel starts impacting around them.
    Oh yes, they wail and cry and carry on as if possessed. You must know that I am not the missionary by any stretch of the imiagination---if I am asked about my beliefs, I generally remark that I see too many complex things around me, for them just to have happened without God's will and efforts. I don't know scripture so I don't relate scripture, and many times I look on with a suspect feeling, of someone who continually relates it to me---before too long I will challenge their right to do so. GOD BLESS AMERICA, is as good a prayer in my way of thinking, as anything I can think of. May we always deserve his blessings, in and for this great nation of ours, that I feel just didn't happen without his design---it has his signature all over it. wilborn

LIKTOSHOOT
    (1/31/02 6:16:02 pm)
    Well Winter, thats why I explained it came from a fevered mind. Saw the White Buffalo a few times last week and some of the Injun came out...."BIG MEDICINE VISIONS" I`m done for a couple of years now and can get back to being my nasty ole self; Ain`t no fun being nice....I hated the Waltons. LTS

Winter11
    (1/31/02 6:58:16 pm)
    I hear ya LTS.... besides... you're so good at it!

JW - you know... I don't go around proclaiming to be an athiest, more of a non-practicing catholic. I'm sort of floating in a state of religous confusion. I've always felt this way, for as long as I can remember... I was in the second grade about to make my communion and was almost refused when I questioned the nun about the bible. I wasn't disrespectful, but I guess she didn't appreciate what I was saying... but anyway, I felt growing up that the church, well at least the one my family went to, were nothing but money fiends. It seemed every Sunday they'd ask everyone for money and it really discouraged me. So, I stopped going to church and started looking around the "religious world". I haven't really found anything to call my own yet. While I absolutely believe that there is something greater than the common man, I can't yet grasp what it is. I have had so many unexplainable things happen to me, things that have caused me to feel - 100% - that there is something beyond what man can see and hear. I pray. But, it's not to a God, it's more like praying to the forces that I can feel and I can sometimes hear. It's to those unexplainable warm rushes that can fall over my body and cause me to act... or the cold rushes that fall over me. I hear things, I see things and I know this sounds completely odd, but I know the things that I see and hear sometimes are not the same as I and are not of my imagination, nor of the physical world.

Something just crossed my mind... forgive me for changing the subject so quickly... I enjoy going to St. Patrick's Cathedral here in NYC, mostly because it's a peaceful and beautiful place to go. But, while I'm there I observe the people around me. There are those that go there because it makes them feel good and there are those that go there because it makes them look good. I envy those whose hearts are truly in their religion. I envy the sense of peace and fulfillment they must feel. I envy the sense of comfort that they must have in knowing that when their time comes, they'll be safe with their God. I truly wish I could put my whole heart into God and the idea of him, but I'm just not sure. That's not to say that I don't believe in something, I do, I just don't have a title for it.

You know, this is a subject that I could talk about for hours and hours.... and at this point I'm beginning to feel I've gotten off the subject and started to open a can of worms.... sorry for the rambling!

Always Faithful

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (2/1/02 5:39:57 am)
    Winter, you rambled far better than I ever could have. You said it so well and so all encompassing. One thing you have heard me say many times is that YOU CAN'T BE ALL THINGS TO ALL PEOPLE. I could go on with that little gem of wisdom of mine, but before long it would begin to seem if I were mouthing scripture.
    Wilborn

berto64
    (2/2/02 12:16:19 am)

Winter, fagedaboudit.

You sound exactly the way I've felt for 40 yrs.
    Some of the sights and sounds I've experienced in nature
    make it clear to me that we are not an accident.
    The earth and nature's wonders are my cathedral, more amazing that any building man can create.

Can't explain it on here, but I believe we think alike on this to some degree.

God Bless America!

spanky

Endeaver to Persevere

blackguns
    (2/2/02 1:14:02 pm)
    Dang LTS! I'm impressed

Winter11
    (2/4/02 11:43:57 am)
    Thanks JW & Berto....

Ya know.... you guys also said it best...

"You can't be all things to all people" - that doesn't even need an explanation... it says so much by itself!!!

"The Earth and nature's wonders are my cathedral" - perfect, absolutely perfect!!