duck boat idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 68c15, Oct 2, 2012.

1. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I want to build a small duck boat. it needs to fit in the back of a 99 Tahoe and have wheels mounted to the transom. I was thinking 7' x 4' would work since that's what will fit in the truck and be able to close the doors. maybe make the bulkheads out of 1/2" plywood and the side and bottom from 1/4". it would need the seating area made from 1/2" or maybe even 3/4". then the whole thing covered in fiberglass.
    my propulsion would be either push pole or kayak style oars. using a motor requires me to pay annual registration not to mention extra cost. I figure I could do it all this winter and spend less than $200
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Good luck with that design! Ever hear of a Pirogue? Smallest I've ever seen was 10', and it wasn't that stable.
  3. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Look around on craigslist or other places. you may be able to find a small john boat with a trailer and no motor for 200. Like Carver said that design isnt going to be very stable, You may want to look into a wet suit for after you squeeze that trigger.
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Some friends of mine make some boats like that. They are really stable and I think one of them was getting it ready to be able to put a 5 horse motor on it.
  6. Sandman

Sandman New Member

My Dad made a boat like that years ago. It was pretty stable. Flat bottom, about 3 or four feet wide, tapering to maybe 18" front and back. He had a trolling motor on it with a hand control rigged up, but it could be paddled easily as well.
  7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

we build them out of cardboard down here
  8. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I used to have a paddle boat that would work wonderful but some bonehead traded it for a brand new 870 12g for my son. now we both have nice 12's to hunt ducks with but no boat. irony at it's finest
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

If you buy a small jon boat, you can really add stability to it by strapping 6" pvc pip to the sides. I have a 14' long by 33" wide jon boat that used to tip over if I leaned to one side. I strapped 6" pvc to the sides that are the length of the boat. Now two men can stand up and lean all the way over without it tipping.
  10. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

^^^^
    huh, not a bad idea. thanks
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I made one from one 4' x 8' plywood, with a 45* sloped bow and 24" sides and stern. Worried about stability, I placed the deck on a log and weighted the sides to get a bow to it. Sides were about 2" lower than the center line. It was stable enough to use on the Yukon for a year, until we moved back South. Among other duties, it carried a yearling moose, my 8 yo son, our camping gear and me about 8 miles back up the Yukon to Tanana.

Pops