Ducks Foot Pistol

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by TranterUK, Mar 20, 2009.

1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Yep those are cool but the only multi-barrel I want is a double I can hit quail with.:D:D

Colt...I'm no expert but I'll go with their less recent weapons. The 1911 for example. I don't have much praise for new Colt's. What I learned where I used to work was I prefer Springfield 1911's and that's where I put my money for my own 1911. The old Colt 70 series is a fine weapon, pre-70 too depending what priority you place accuracy. My friend I grew up with sometimes brings his compensated, nickel plated, 70 series to clean bowling pins up at matches and dudes offer him $2,000+ or AR's to get him parted with that Colt. The 80 series + Colt monkeyed with the safety/firing pin and never should have. Most of your new on the block 1911 makers build basically clones of the 80 series...food for thought.

The M4...lets say M16 family. Colt is better than most of the AR's you can find on a gun store shelf in the US (Bushmaster, Olympic, etc etc). Speaking relative to the 20 something other AR makers...Colt makes a product most of them pale beside.

But Colts M4 and to lesser extent their M16's dominate most of the US military's carbine/rifles. And with what we do with them, any quality issues become known. Colt's will occasionally catastrophically fail. Bolts shatter etc etc. It's rare, I mean really rare, but there. I've never seen an FN M16 (made in Columbia, SC) fail. Not once. Why? How come? Maybe we use more Colts so it's just higher probability. Or? I've never seen KAC or H&K catastrophically fail either. Maybe it's not fair to Colt for me to say that because those companies provide a fraction of our weapons in comparison...but I know what I've seen.

I am the biggest M4/M16 fan you'll ever meet. But if you give me an M4/M16, don't matter if Colt or other, depending what I want to do, I'm probably just going to put a LaRue upper on it anyways.:D But no major manufacturer could be expected to keep up with LaRue...not gonna happen.

I believe when Colt wasn't just a government contract supplier they made higher quality weapons. But I'd still rather club you with an empty Colt M4 than shoot at you with a Kalashnikov.

On the Peacemaker and older Colts. Hell...in the 21st century a big arms manufacturer like Ruger is trying to emulate the characteristics of a 19th century Colt handgun with modern metals and production. If that isn't the biggest compliment to Sam Colt, I don't know what is.
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Agreed.

There were more Colts used in your Civil War than any other pistol, Remington, Whitney et all. After the war demobbed soldiers were able to buy for cents some of the guns, The Remingtons were in much greater demand than Colts.

My own view is that the Remington, by way of its solid frame as against the colts wedge was a better design. But I am no expert, just interested in such things.
  3. delta13soultaker

True that, all you said.

As was pointed out to me here, in the case of the Remington percussion revolvers not only being more solid, their design allowed a much faster and more simple reload via cylinder swap. (The Colt swap requires removing the wedge, barrel etc etc and a juggling act, while the Rem just a pin.)

Myself, having only owned the Colt replica percussion revolvers, hadn't realized the difference was that big. A little investigation showed me it is. If I shot percussion revolvers for anything besides fun, as in it was my only choice for defense like just after the Civil War, well....I'd want at least 1 Remington first too.:D
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Getting into this one late, but a couple of thoughts.

I learned, back in high school, that it was Eli Whitney that dreamed up standardization and mass production of firearms parts. Might be wrong, but that's what they taught me.

While that 10-shot dual hammer gun is cool, it ain't a pepperbox. Pepperboxes were named that because they resembled a pepper grinder.

Ruger's making of Single Actions is not a testament to Sam Colt's genius. It is a testament to the thousands of fools (and I'm one of them) that enjoy playing with this type gun. I say "fools" and I say "playing", because, for a working gun, you do not want a single action revolver that you have to load one round at a time. If it was not for the invention of Cowboy Action Shooting, Ruger would never had made the Vaquero.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The Vaquero, no. But the Blackhawk and Single Six were already around when cowboy shooting became popular.
    The fact that Ruger is trying to do things exactly the same way regarding the guns internals means that there really isn't much improvment possible.

You can say it's because shooters want authenticity, but I don't think that's really it. I mean, look at all the changes to the 1911. It's had a ton of things done, but it's "still a 1911." The single-action revolvers, though, are still almost identical.

By the time Sam Colt got done with it, it was done right! (It wasn't all his doing, but it was done right.)
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Exactly the same way? I've looked at my Colts a few times, and I have never seen tranfer bars, coiled stainless steel springs, or investment cast receivers. There are many copies of the Colt out there. But Ruger isn't one of them. The Ruger looks like Colt's gun. But that's about as far as it goes.
  7. delta13soultaker

Wellllll.....Eli Whitney didn't invent standardized parts. It was first applied by a Frenchman actually. Ol' Eli did tinker with getting muskets built that way but he died bankrupt over some other businesses.

The 10-shot may not be the pedigree example of a pepperbox. Maybe it is just a box.

Funny that those thousands of fools asked for a revolver that feels and shoots like a Colt. This is testament to themselves? Nope. That logic goes in circles. Anyone who picked up a Colt, then a Blackhawk, wanted the Colt back. Come on. And the Super Blackhawk was born for hunters who wanted better than either.

You can say you don't want a SA revolver for a serious weapon. But you cannot say someone else doesn't. No more could I say that since I don't like .41 Magnum than neither does anyone else. That bucket don't hold water. You can pick apart why A, B, and C are better than X, but if Ricky Bobby from Soggybottom, Florida wants to carry a SA revolver than that is his business. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, so let me know.

If CAS caused Ruger to make a handier Vaquero...that is a credit, not a minus.
  8. hobowonkanobe

hobowonkanobe New Member

do you by chance know of any one making something along these lines? I know of a Pieta 3 barrel caplock kit... but, one, well it's Pieta and 2 it's a caplock. I am rather fond of flinters m'self.
    If there is, url?