..dumb questions about guns I inherited...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Seal, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Jeff Seal

Jeff Seal New Member

Hello there, this is my first post here....so bear with me while I ask some sort of dumb questions..

I recently inherited my family's gun collection which includes:

Savage 1899 30/30
    Meriden Firearms dbl. brl 12ga.
    Winchester 67

and in the Handgun dept...

Unique Model C...I think?
    H&R 929
    Iver-Johnson .22
    Ruger MKII (recent...I know about this one)

but the one I have a question about is an 1861(?) D. Moore Pat revolver (.32 7-shot S. A.,with original holster even!)...

How stupid would I be, if I actually fired this???? I've fired some of the other pistols (except the IJ) ...but this one I'm leary of given it's age. I very rarely shoot anyway, but I wouldn't know how safe this would be. It's amazingly clean with no mechanical issues (clear bore) and the last known time it was fired was during the Civil War...

I've tried to research most of these, but I have limited knowledge about guns other than how to handle and clean them....

I appreciate any responses...

Jeff Seal
  2. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of very knowledgeable and experienced people here. Unfortunatly, I'm not one of them. ;)
    If you have a gunsmith in your area who specializes in old guns, you need to take that old revolver to him and let him check it out. Regardless of what kind of shape it's in, I would be afraid to shoot, if for no other reason then just to preserve it as a historical piece.
    Count yourself lucky to have inherited your father's collection. I hope each piece brings back good memories for you.
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

It may be OK to fire, but you would really need to have it checked out by a COMPETENT gunsmith who knows how to detail-inspect it for microscopic cracks and such. And, of course, realize that it should likely be fired only with period-correct ammunition and powder. I would proceed with extreme caution. Or really, I would just put it in a display cabinet and enjoy it for the historical piece that it is.
  4. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:) IA w/ the others, but i also wanted to say WELCOME TO THE FORUM JEFF! :D
  5. Some of those may be OK to shoot, Jeff, for example, that Savage 1899, the Winchester 67, the H&R, and the Iver Johnson, but the only way to tell for sure is, as others have already pointed out, to have them carefully checked out by a competent gunsmith. Old guns can sometimes present some real dangers for several reasons.

1. You don't really know the condition of the weapon until it's checked. You could, for example, have headspacing problems that are not apparent to the naked eye.

2. The steel alloys used years ago are not anywhere nearly as stong as those used for today's firearms.

3. Calibers shown on the guns may not always equate to the calibers of today. For example, that Moore Pat might be a .32 rimfire instead of a .32 centerfire. If it is, the ammo is very, very difficult to obtain today. It might also be a .32 S&W or a .32 S&W Long, both of which you can still buy fairly easily, but they are very different than the more common .32 Auto cartridge of today. I suspect that Moore Pat is indeed chambered for one of the S&W cartridges. Those cartridges were once very popular for so-called "pocket guns" in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Look at the pistol below. Is this like the one you have? This is a Moore patent revolver. The caliber is 32 "pin fire" and would be a black powder load. You might get lucky if you visit the "Old Western Scrounger" and find ammo for it or just do a google search for the same. By the way, the pictured revolver is being auction for a starting price of $1550.00.

Attached Files:

7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

jeff,
    the h&r model 929 was manufactured between 1956 and 1986. the serial number on the butt will have a letter code(s) prefix, this will give a manufacture date.

on the iver johnson if you describe all the markings, their location and what frame (top break of solid) i can give you some information on it.

the daniel moore revolver SHOULD NOT be fired.
    bill
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

I was wondering if the old gun would be a pin-fire blackpoweder gun, given the pat date. Guess I got my answer - pretty pic, by the way.
  9. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum

And check the Winchester 67 to see if it's 22LR, Long, Short or 22 WRF
    If it's 22 WRF it's a collectable
  10. Jeff Seal

Jeff Seal New Member

Thanks for all the repiles and the info.... I will most certainly not even think about firing the Moore (kinda makes me feel stupid for asking, but glad I did!)

Inplanotx...that is it!

I discovered that the pin that rotates the cylinder is broken...so I might see about getting it fixed or just leave it the way it is. I'm going to get a case made to display this one, since I also have my ancestors sword and his Civil War discharge papers...working on a photo. (He's buried at Arlington National)

The 929's serial no. is S3762....working on getting a date of manuf. (this a really fun gun to shoot, although not very accurate...pumped 140 rounds through it last weekend...never skipped a beat!)

The 67 is a 22 short, long and long rifle....I don't know where to find the ser. no on it. (I haven't taken it apart yet..)

The Unique also went to the range and fired about 40 rounds then jammed.. My dad said it happened all the time,..he unjammed it and fired another clip through it....i was somewhat leary of it after that.

I found out today the dbl. brl. has a broken firing pin on one of the barrels, anyone know a gunsmith in Houston?

The Iver-Johnson apparently is an "owls head"...it's in pretty bad shape, so it's going in the display case.

One of the other things I acquired was a full box of unfired 30-30 silvertip Winchester bullets in the original box (with the bear). One of the things that caught my eye about it was "Made in United States of America"..... :)

I'm 39 and I haven't seen those words in way too long.

I appreciate your responses.....

Jeff Seal
  11. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Your Win 67 won't have a ser #
  12. Jeff Seal

Jeff Seal New Member

..just curious, is there a reason why or do all Win's not have them....

JS
  13. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

jeff,
    H&R used the letter code "S" in 1956
    bill
  14. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Hiya Jeff, Welcome!

Shotguns and 22's were not required to have a serial # until early in the 20th centery. I used to know the year but have forgotten it in my declining yrs. I'm sure one of these other guys knows what year ser#'s on these type firearms was required.

Enjoy your new friends.
  15. Jeff Seal

Jeff Seal New Member

b.goforth..thanks for the info on the H&R.... I noticed you live in Houston too, can you recommend a gunsmith for repairing the broken firing pin on the Meriden dbl. barrell or somebody in general...

berto64, I wouldn't think the Win. 67 is too old, of course then again..I'm still pretty new about this...no clue as to it's age!
    Thanks for the help guys!... hopefully I'll get a better grasp on what I have..

Jeff Seal