Dumb thing I did as a kid. What would have happened?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hkruss, Feb 15, 2010.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Since you guys work with gun powder, I figured I would post this question here.

When I was around 10 years old, my buddy and I were playing 'army'. I got the idea to make a smoke bomb. I figured, if you could take gunpowder out of a firecracker and dump it in a pile, it would flare up if you lit a match to it.
    Well, I wanted to improve on that idea by getting a LOT of gunpowder and putting it in a container with a fuse on it. Since we did not want to take the time to dump powder out of a lot of firecrackers, my friend suggested that since his dad reloaded ammo, we could just use some of his gunpowder. So we got this can which contained granular looking powder. I had a plastic grenade (about 2/3rds the size of a real grenade) which we figured would be ideal for our 'smoke bomb'. We filled it up with the gunpowder, joined a couple of firecracker fuses together and stuck one end in the grenade. My plan was to light it and throw it a few feet in front of me. Fortunately, his mother must have figured out we were up to no good, so she took it from us before we could use it.
    My question to you is, what do you think would have happened, had we set it off? Since it was not packed and sealed tightly like a cartridge, do you think it would have exploded or just flared up in a big way? Would it being granular as opposed to powder make any difference in the resulting reaction?

I'm sure that either way, the results would not have been good. Looking back, it's a good thing his mom stopped us or maybe I would not be here!

(sorry if this seems like a silly post, but it is something I have long wondered about, and I figured YOU guys would know the answer to what would have happened!)

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

A poof then a violent flare up. you prolly woulda gotten burned. Dont ask how I know...:D
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    UNLESS IT WAS BLACK POWDER IT WOULD ONLY HAVE FLAIRED UP,I DONT THINK THEY MAKE A PISTOL POWDER OR RIFLE THAT BURNS FAST ENOUGH TO EXPLODE IN THAT SORT OF CONTAINMENT. OLD SEMPERFI
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats why you get the poof. Just enough pressure from the expanding gasses to cause the toy grenade to give then a nice big hot fire for a short period of time...
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

hkruss,

how funny, most of us went throught the pyro stage at one point or another, I know I did. I actually took the time to unwrap some 300-400 firecrackers in an effort to make something more impressive than the neighborhood had ever before seen or felt. I continued on for two days until I had a cardboard roll jampacked full of that silverish powder that stained your hands. As you guys did I "staged" a bunch of cracker fuses together to the length just long enough to get the hell away. I even thought I needed to create some type of cap, similar to those dynamite uses, so this thing went off without failure, so using my pre-teen inginuity I used cigarrette loads. Well came the day I lit this and it did in fact raise the dead, as did also the pavement on the end of the driveway were the old man turned in every day after work, and all the nieghborhood mothers who watched me do it. Last time I ever did anything like that. I guess I should have went EOD in the military- I missed my calling.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  6. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Yep, sounds like some of the things I did back then too! It takes LOT of firecracker powder (packed down) to fill a one of those empty little 12gram CO2 cartridges. But you get one heck of a firecraker! Was actually attempting to make a rocket engine..... I'm a molecular fusionist in the aerospace industry now, not a rocket sceintist.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

We used to take brass ball-point pen cartridges. Shave match heads, and shove the pieces in the cartridge. When you had it full, chew a little piece of paper and roll it tight so you could plug the end. Hold a flame underneath the brass tube, until the match heads would ignite, which would shoot the spit wad. Apparently overloaded one, one time. Was picking little pieces of brass shrapnel out of my shoulder for a couple of days.
  8. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

my worst episode of pyromania occurred when i was 16. my buddy's dad had just bought him a 243. well we were looking for something good to shoot around his neighborhood. found a grill propane tank that his neighbors left when they moved a few weeks before. well we took this into a great big field back behind his house, made a small camp fire, threw the tank in the middle of the fire, backed up about 100 yards and shot the tank. this was in mid fall and the grass in that field was chest high and dry. yeah we spent half an hour or more running around with our shirts off trying to contain the fire and luckily we got it put out. we got busted by his mom when she saw the crater a few days later and he caved under the pressure. we were grounded for a couple of months. but it was worth it. that fireball was huge! other than that i have had several instances where i lost eyebrows or have actually been on fire. we were all pyromaniacs around here
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  9. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Right! ...then the fire brigade doesn't like it!!!! :p
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Took some five-gallon cans, put a cup or two of gas in them, shook 'em up and tossed 'em in the bay. Let the tide take 'em out about a hunnert yards, and then shot 'em with 7.62 tracer. Didn't blow up. Annoyed us alltahell. Figgered that burning phosphorus, going through that five gallons of gas fumes, shoulda done something. We know we hit 'em - we watched 'em sink. But no boom. :(
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I packed a ping pong ball with shotshell powder and shot and inserted a half a firecracker and wrapped the whole deal with 2 rolls of electrical tape when I was a kid. lets just say the local apartment manager had to order new mailboxes the next morning, and I got to see what the inside of a real jail cell looked like. I was only 11 or so at the time...
  12. trickyrick

trickyrick Member

had to post on this...lol. we used to take a bolt, thread it into a nut part way, fill nut w/ shaved match heads, install bolt in other end, snug it up, throw it in the air and run and BANG! well that wasn't enough for us. i found a 1" dia. rod coupler, (basically a 3" long nut). we found 2 bolts and screwed one in about 1/4". filled it up w/ about 3/4 of the big box of ohio blue tip strike anywhere stick matches, (our favorite kind), screwed in the other bolt and continued to snug them both till we didn't feel safe doing it anymore. we through it up in the street and ran up my friends driveway and rested against his mom 68 buick....and....BOOOOMMMM!!!!.....CLANGGGG!!!! the threads gave under the pressure and one of the bolts flew at us, unbeknownst to us, and hit the rear bumper right between us (a 6" gap) and put a dent 3" deep and 3" round in the bumper. never tried that again....yet. that bolt head was 1 5/8" across. we got friggin lucky.
    one other time when i was younger, i filled a spent .22 long shell w/ gun powder from the round plastic caps and used a nail to pack it. when it was full, (i thought they filled them to the top), i went to the same neighbors driveway w/ shell and a sledge. well, as you can probably guess, i was deaf for 2 days, blind for 5 min, and picking brass out of my shin for a week and had to throw away a (until then) perfectly good pair of under britches.
    don't ask what happens when you mix bleach and crystal draino in a peanutbutter jar, put the top on , and throw it in the air. why would they put that warning on the can anyway? you know the one, "DO NOT MIX WITH BLEACH". well we had to, and did, find out.
    1 can crystal draino w/ holes poked in it and a swimming pool don't mix either.
  13. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter New Member

Take those snap pops and make a BIGGER snap pop!

These are those little white paper pops filled with some type of crystal
    that, when thrown on the ground, make a pop.

Unwrap a whole box or two, into a piece of foil, wrap up SLOWLY, and
    you have a really really big and loud snap pop.

SLOWLY is the key word... did this once, too quickly, and
    SNAP POP in my face...

Luckily didn't get hurt, ears rang for a bit, and bits of that snap pop
    and foil in face and hair - nasty.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

bleach and brakefluid mixed in equal parts makes one hell of a stinky smoke bomb that will go off for what seems like forever...:D