Dummy Training Rifle, Mark 1 USN

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vito, Sep 2, 2008.

1. vito

vito New Member

Hi. I would appreciate any idea of how much the Dummy Training Rifle, Mark 1 USN would worth. Rifle is in very good condition with all the markings on the butt plate.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Vito.....I suspect that I know what you have, but can you post some pictures of it? Sharp, clear, well lit, pictures, full length, both left and right sides. Also clear, sharp, closeups of any numbers, markings, engraving, or unusual features. This will help us determine what you've got, and it's approximate condition and value.
  3. vito

vito New Member

Thanks so much ror your reply, I will try to post pictures.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

If it's what I think it is, it's a life size wooden replica of the M1903 Springfield.

Just before, and during, the early days of WWII, the U.S. Military was expanding rapidly, and there just weren't enough of the "real thing" for training purposes, so the Government had hundreds of thousands of these cranked out by various toy makers and woodworking shops.

They were used primarily in boot camps and training facilities, mainly for drill purposes and learning the Manual For Arms.

After the war, they were declared surplus and sold or given away to various organizations that wanted them.

Back in the early '50's, I was a Civil Air Patrol cadet, and we had a bunch of 'em for our drill team.