Dumoulin Coach Shot Gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bowstrings, Jul 9, 2011.

1. bowstrings

bowstrings New Member

I am respectfully requesting some information and value of my 12 guage, sidexside shot gun which bears the name: Dumoulin& Co.
    The barrels are approx. 3'2" in lenght.
    The width of barrels are 1 1/2' at the ends
    Overall lenght from barrel to Butt stock is approx.65" to 66"
    Numbers on barrel are either: 2356, or 2346 DC

There two exposed ears and on the faceplate,several engraved depictions of game; a hare,or rabbit running on the right-side,back of the rabbit ear trigger; with two quails or sage grouse towards the front.
    On the left side plate, near the front,there are two geese or ducks fowl lifting up in flight.
    Towards the rear, behind the left trigger-ear is a large BIRD dog, that appears to have alerted or sighted the water fowl; his tail is erect; left paw
    is lifted.
    On the barrel release lever is a Grouse engraved on one side, and a Ringneck Phesant engraved on the other side.

Top of barrels is : Toz-66 2 3/4 12 GA 20' C-M
    Other Barrel is Universal Sptg Gds. Miami Fl-15 MFG TULA USSA.
    There are several other neatly engraved designs, marks serrations, whorls and curves on and under the barrels, forestock release lever.
    The barrels are clean, clear and silver inside. There is no rust or damge visible,inside or out.
    The stock is in excellent shape, no cracks,chips,or deep nicks; color deep red or walnut color.Both firing pins are function and not bent or damaged. I hope this helps in evaluating this Coach shotgun for its worth and history. Thanks.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Your TOZ-66 coach gun was made in Russia and imported 1960s-70s. The only recent sale I find sold online for $350, probably to a "Cowboy Action Shooter"

But where is it marked Dumoulin & Co? The Dumoulin family were Belgian gunmakers.

Have you inadvertently listed markings from two different guns?
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I've never heard of a modern "coach gun" with 3 foot 2" (38") barrels????? Overall length with stock is 5 1/2 feet. Some thing isn't right here. Perhaps conversion from metric to English measure is off? :eek:
    Ift he dimensions are correctly stated, it probably is not a "coach gun" but meant for hunting the animals depicted on the receiver.
    Also, hrf - I hope you made a mistake when you posted: "made in Russia and imported 1860-70s." It's marked TULA USS(A)R :eek:
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The Barrel markings say Russia, but the Dumoulin says Belgium, I'm so confused?
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Another thought: perhaps this was an "OLD" Belgian shotgun found in the USSR, made in the time period cited by hrf - but imported into the USofA in the 1970s? Lots of possibilities here - this question really calls for some decent pictures of all the features and including a full length shot of the 5 1/2 foot long shotgun.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just measured a Rossi 20" SxS. Overall is 37". Add 18 more for the difference between my 20" barrels and his 38, and we end up with 55", which is ten inches shorter than his. If the barrels are the length he says, the only place for that extra ten inches is in the stock, giving a 24 inch length of pull. I don't think an orangutan could shoot a gun with a 24 inch LOP.

Has to be some sort of measurement problem.

Also, notice he says the top of the barrels says: >Top of barrels is : Toz-66 2 3/4 12 GA 20' C-M< That's make-model, chamber length, caliber, 20', and then choke. I"m thinking that 20' is actually 20", and is barrel length. Especially since he says the barrels width is 1.5' at the ends. One and a half FEET? Having a little problem with his apostrophe.

Why in the world would a Belgian gun be stamped with a Russian arsenal?
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The last part of his description is definitely a modern gun. Do a web search for "TOZ-66 and you'll find plenty of examples, such as: http://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=102351

Maybe he saw a pic of an old sawed-off Belgian Dumoulin and thought it was the same gun.
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You know, when I first read this post my first impression was " wow, someone replace the barrels on an old Belgium shotgun " Pictures would be great.