DuraCoating

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jce07a, Nov 6, 2012.

1. jce07a

jce07a New Member

Does anyone know of someone who is good with applying and patterning duracoat to guns? preferably someone in texas. DFW area, San Antonio area, or Abilene area would be best. i am considering a couple options for my AR-15, my Remington 870, and something for a glock for the lady.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I do cerakote. Suppose I can do duracoat as well, but cerakote is better.
  3. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Cerakote is nice stuff. If you don't know the guy doing it and haven't seen his work go with the least expensive thing first. :) Probably the shotgun, then check out the results. I mean if JLA isn't doing it. I would trust him or jack404 or someone like that on the forum that has been around. If they say they can do it I would believe them. If they have 2 posts...well, you know.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got 4 shotguns to do this weekend.
  5. jce07a

jce07a New Member

jla, i havent done a whole lot of research on the topic so please forgive my ignorance, but if you have a firearm that already has some rust, would putting duracoat or cerakote on it prevent further rust? (for example: my Remington 870 was in its case in the back seat of my buddy's truck. we had a real bad rain storm and it messed up the seal around his window. so the back seat of his truck [including my gun in its soft case] got wet. there is a good bit of rust [a lot, but not bad, if that makes sense] on the receiver and on part of the barrel.) would coating it help? i know it is supposed to prevent rust and other things in the first place.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thermoset finishes require abrasive blasting before application. I use Aluminum Oxide grit when blasting as it leaves a smooth even surface. I also use Garnet sand but only if they are out of Aluminum Oxide. The blasting process removes all of the rust and blends the pitting (if any) with the metal around it. If coupled with a Matte finish and the pitting/rust fairly minor youd be hard pressed to locate the spot the rust was in before. This is the reason i most like thermoset finishes.

Secondly, cerakote, the one i use most, is weather proof. It is a 2 part coating, not all that different from epoxy and once applied to a bare metal surface with the proper blast profile will bond with the metal on a chemical level and seal it. So for ever more you can use your shotgun or whatever in a down pour and the surface wont rust up as a result.

The 4 shotguns I have on schedule for this weekend are all just as you describe. an 870, 2 1100s and a beretta 12 ga auto. All were left in shotgun cases that were damp from the morning dove hunt. the result is spot rust all over. The guy initially called me inquiring about a reblue for all 4, but after speaking on the phone a bit and then showing him a few examples of the finish applied to some of my own firearms hes decided to go with a semi gloss graphite black finish. it will be very close to the original bluing only much tougher and rust proof. They use these shotghuns for trap and dove hunting. so they will see lots of future use and do all exhibit evidence of being fielded. They are all fairly dinged up.

I dont have any personal experience with duracoat. ive never used it. I have seen examples of it and it is very similar to Cerakote, but I dont think its quite as durable.

I apply cerakote with a gravity fed HVLP gun equipped with a .8 nozzle. Which is just a step above an airbrush. so the coating is very even and uniform.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Maybe George moody will chime in. i just refinished a CZ82 mak and a Hi Standard Double derringer. The mak in a 2 tone OD/Graphite black and the DD in Satin graphite black. Maybe he can post pics. I also have done some work on a springfield 1911 for hogger129 as well. Graphite black in satin finish also. As well as 2 of my own. I use alot of the graphite black here. ;)

Cerakote also comes in just about every color under the rainbow. so if youve got something wild in mind.. Like a hot pink glock frame with a corvette yellow slide.. Not a problem.. ;)
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Oh yeah, Josh did a great job on both of them. I have posted pictures of them a couple of times but here are a before and after for each one.

I am just sorry that the pictures do not do them justice, but here they are;

Attached Files:

9. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Wow nice job on those
  10. B27

B27 New Member

My P228 went "green" with Aluma-hyde from Brownells.

[​IMG]

That was almost 5 years ago and it still looks brand new.
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

if i want any work done you will be the first i call Josh nice job
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Be happy to do it for you Beth.. Am i seeing a pink marlin 60 in your future? ;)
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Oh and I also closed the deal on somewhat of a partnership between myself and a local film transfer company this afternoon. they specialize in custom vehicle trim and have hundreds of coatings to choose from. Ever seen the inside of a Cadillac Escalade, or a Yukon Denali? All that fancy burl wood trim.. I can have that done on guns now.. :D

I can have entire guns dipped in pretty much any pattern you can think of. I am having a PPSH22 stock done as we speak. And they did a rifle stock for me as well. He does offer all of the popular camo patterns and then some.