Dutch oven venison roast (W\addendum)

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by 280freak, Jan 14, 2005.

1. 280freak

280freak New Member

Even folks who claim not to like venison always ask for seconds! Going to be making one this way this weekend for my brother who is visiting from out of state and put in a specific request for me to prepare the dish.

My all-time favorite venison roast recipe -

Start by putting a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil in your Dutch oven. Heat it up on a range top burner. Sear all sides of the roast in the hot oil. Remove roast and pour off excess oil.

Place roast back in the Dutch oven and put your favorite mix of pot roast veggies in. I prefer potatoes, carrots, onions, green pepper, and celery, myself. (I always have the veggies cleaned and cut into the size that I want before searing the meat, obviously!)

Drizzle some Soy sauce liberally over the meat and veggies. Don't ask me how much Soy sauce because I never measure it. I would guess that it is at least several tablespoons; I just know when it looks right to me. :)

Pour in about 1/3 cup water (a bit less if you like the final product a touch drier, a bit more if you want to have lots of liquid to spoon over the roast slices and/or as a sort of gravy for the potatoes).

Put the cover on the Dutch oven and place into a preheated 375 degree oven. I usually let it set that way for a half hour or so and then turn the oven down to 325 degrees. Should be done to perfection in another hour and a half to two hours, depending on the size of the roast.

Two side notes -

First, be careful when removing the Dutch oven lid; I've gotten pretty close to burning myself from the steam escaping, so be forewarned! Also, from experience, the final product seems to benefit from putting in enough veggies around and on top of the roast to come as close as possible to totally filling the Dutch oven. I don't know if that is because of leaving as little open air space in the Dutch oven, or what the deal is, you'll just have to trust me on this! :D

Edit -

I have corrected my incredibly stupid error - Soy Sauce is the secret ingredient, NOT Worcestershire sauce as originally stated by me! Severe brain cramp while typing original post. Good Lord!!

*MERGE*

I hope that anybody who was going to try my roast recipe that I posted down in the Recipe Forum will see this in time. Please go and re-read the recipe before starting.

I suffered some sort of massive brain cramp while typing out the original recipe and have just now gone and edited in the needed correction.

My apologies to anybody who doesn't see this in time and tries to prepare it according to the original. (If you ARE reading this too late, please let me know how it turned out; maybe it won't be as bad as I fear and will give me another variation to try, myself!)

Once again, sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused; can't believe that I could be so stupid. Sheesh.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Re: Dutch oven venison roast

Thanks alot 280, I will try this one and report back...

It's funny how many people claim to dis-like wild game yet rave over a dish, totally unaware that are spooning up a second helping of such isan't it?

Crpdeth
  3. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

The warden loves it as long as she does not know what it is...
  4. Crpdeth

I understand...My Wife asks no questions about the meat I am cooking with while preparing dinner, she has occasionally watched me skin and gut my game and walks through the kitchen while I'm processing, but would rather not see whats going on, we were in the situation where she had to actually watch me kill some wild pigs this year and then she surprised me by helping a little bit, but she would rather not talk about the "poor animals" nor watch the kill if she is "expected to eat them".

Crpdeth
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Re: Major mistake in Venison roast recipe!

I didn't see the original mistake, but I remember once emailing a recipe which included "peppercorns" instead of "peppermints." OUCH. :D

Pops
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I used to raise lambs for the freezer. FirstInLine still won't eat lamb. She likes venison, however. Says it tastes just like lamb. :D

However, she has helped skin, quarter, bone, package and freeze several pigs. She loves that pork.

Pops
  7. 280freak

280freak New Member

btt
  8. pit-sitter

pit-sitter New Member

IMHO
    Worcestershire is just soy sauce that is "kicked up a notch" any way and the recipe would still be fine.
  9. jamesed

jamesed New Member

Thanks for the recipe. I do something similar to this but use soy sauce and a good Burgendy whine in the mix.

By the way I have fond that the secret to Venison is how you prepare the carcus after killing.

I move the body of the deer up wind and about 20yds haver I have gutted the animal. The warm meat may pick up some flavor of the blood, bile, urine and other stuff.

I use lots of water (this is where one of those camel back canteens comes in handy) to wash the inside of the deer out and it helps cool the inside of the deer body cavity too. I skin the deer at the killing site, using the skin as a ground cover to keep dirt off the carcus. I palce the deer carcus in a meat bag before moving the deer to the camp site. Once at the camp site I hang the deer carcus and finish the field prep. I remove all the fat, and blood. Once the deer is cleaned I put a final wash on the meat made up of water, salt, and saltpeter. I put it back into a clean game bag and wrap it with an old wool planket. I have a 20 gallon water container over the hanging deer with water drip. The water saturates the wool and as it evaporates it cools the deer carcus down to about 20 degrees below outside air temp. The water drip also causes the deer carcuss to weep blood for a few more days. I open the deer bag up every moring and night and spay it with the salt water saltpeter wash. The saltpeter goes a long way in retarding any spoilage

I find that proper field dressing techniques goes a long way to have a tasty meal on the table.
  10. Crpdeth

I merged these threads to further ensure that no one overlooks the necessary changes. :)

Crpdeth