1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

EAA BRNO 98

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

tuckerd1
    (2/2/02 1:23:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All EAA BRNO 98
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Any of ya'll have any info on this rifle? Are they good/ bad? Where can I find the best price? Anything you can tell me.

Available with a black synthetic stock or as a barreled action only and chambered in the following popular calibers: 243 win, 308, 30-06, and 7mm Rem Mag ( I thought also 300 Win Mag.) The action and barrel are finished in mat blue and the receiver is drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

"They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

Shootnfan
    (2/6/02 2:24:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: EAA BRNO 98
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was interested myself. I went to EAA's web page and e-mailed them. They have no dealers in my area, but they gave me the name of a master dealer that I could get the local gun store to order from. I think suggested retail on the barrelled action is around $199. From my experience the synthetic stock will be a piece of junk. Drop in stocks for this action should be no problem. I understand that this is the same action formerly know as the Mark X imported by Interarms. I had one of those at one time in 7MM Mag. A good rifle for the money, especially if you like the old Mausers like I do.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 2:39:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: EAA BRNO 98
    This is not the Mark X Mauser. That rifle was built by Zastava in the former Yugoslavia. This rifle is built by BRNO in Czechoslovakia.

I looked at the EAA guns in Vegas. The stock is crap. The action is a bit rough, the ones I handled had a military type trigger. The gun is functional, but really requires a bit of work to be decent. Realistic retail on the complete rifle is $289.00.

The old Mark X guns are being imported again by KBI under the Charles Daly brand. They are more refined and much more commercial than the EAA guns - but a bit more expensive.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 2:51:38 pm)
    Would it be wiser to just get a Yugo 98 action and build your own? How would this compare price wise. I know if you put it in a McMillan stock it would cost a bundle, but aren't there some good less expensive stocks available? What about rebarreling and new trigger groups? Is this expensive? Been thinking about a project such as this. All comments welcome.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 3:03:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: EAA BRNO 98
    You will spend at least twice that building one from a military rifle. Most likely 3x-4x.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/7/02 4:10:02 pm)
    Thanks Doc & shootfan! I'll have to think about this one.

and

Welcome to the board shootfan!

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 2/7/02 4:11:52 pm

Shootnfan
    (2/8/02 3:23:40 pm)
    If you're like me then you like the idea of building your own rifle. I was always interested in taking a Swedish Mauser and building a gun. When I got into checking the cost I discovered that I could buy a new rifle from most makers cheaper than I could build one. Plus, if you ever decided to sell it it is impossible to get your money out of it. The plus side of this is that you can keep your eyes open and find sporterized Mausers in varying degrees of workmanship for really good prices. They will sometimes already be drilled & tapped with safeties that will work with scopes and the bolt handle altered. You can take that gun and invest in a decent stock and a little elbow grease and turn it into a decent rifle. I really love old Mausers and I think its worth it if you want something a little different. To make a long story even longer, I found a Swedish Mauser that was customized by Kimber of Oregon several years ago for $239. The synthetic stock was crap, but the rest of the rifle was ready to mount a scope and go. I am now in the process of bedding and finishing a stock for that rifle and it is a fun project. Try it...