EAA Witness

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bob1010, Feb 2, 2010.

1. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

I am interested in the EAA Witness pistols. Anybody that has (or had) one please chime in with your opinnions. Steel or Polymer? Which is better? How is the durability? How do they feel and shoot? Company customer service if there is a problem, How are they? Thanks for your help.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Witness pistol are made in Italy by Tanfoglio (spelling?). I had a CZ clone from that Italian company I bought in the mid 1980's. It was a terrible gun: The plate that held in the firing pin in the slide lost its grove in the slide and the slide became damaged. The importer went out of business and the gun had to be junked for lack of parts.

But the new Witness, while being made by the same company in Italy seems very much better. Some here claim to get ones with problems but many more get ones they like. I have a Witness in 45ACP. It too is a CZ clone. I have the real CZ97B (in 45ACP) and have had the opportunity to compare them side by side. The Witness seems to be the equal of the CZ. I like my Witness and have had zero trouble with it.

But most of the Witness line are clones of CZ pistols. When CZ pistols were not imported the Witness was the only game in town. Today CZ is a major player in the gun market (not so when I bought my Witness as there was an embargo on guns from Iron Curtain countries like Czechoslovakia) so why not consider the REAL thing, a CZ. There is a bit of luck involved in buying a Witness, it seems, whereas with a real CZ that is not the case at all. The CZ's are the best gun for the least money you can buy today.

As for steel or plastic, steel is forever whereas plastics eventually gets hard and crack or break. It is the nature of plastics. It may take generations but my guns are going to my family and I expected them to last for generations not just my lifetime or part of it.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

LD is right, just go with the real thing especially when the cost is very close. I think a EAA (CZ75 clone) around here goes for 500 while the CZ75 is about 550. EAA has been recently been putting out some decent guns but CZ is hands down a better gun. If you can try to find a all steel frame CZ then that is the better route. The new CZ frames are polymer, still good but the steel frame guns have a better more stable feeling. Go used if you can. You won't save a whole lot b/c CZ's have really became popular in the past 2 years and the used ones have really been holding their resale value. About 2 years ago you could go used for 425-450. Now days the used ones are almost as much as new. CZ spent 6 years perfecting the 75,85, 97 line before releasing it. Can't say that for many other manufactures.
  4. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

Many earlier ones had minor feed issues which were generally resolved by doing a "fluff and buff" which is simply polishing the feed ramp and slide rails. You can google the procedure if you should need it but the percentage of those needing it have been blown WAY out of proportion in my opinion. I will say that while Tangfolio makes nice guns, the support from the importer (E.A.A.) is legendary in how bad it is. If you get one, just assume you won't have ANY support from them.
    The steel ones are nice and heavy which makes shooting them more fun. I shoot mostly 10mm auto which often have a good snap to them and the Witness absorbed the recoil better than most.
    I have sold mine, but wouldn't think twice about getting another. I just needed a different gun at the time more than I needed another 10mm to go with my other 35. LOL
  5. guns4life

guns4life New Member

had a 10 mm in the witness with the wonder finish best and wildest finish of any gun I have ever had bar none when finish got warm from your hand you could see the imprint of your hand on the gun till it cooled off WILD the clip was a piece of junk and failed to go into battery several times loved the caliber but hated the gun
  6. jrg

jrg New Member

I have a TZ 75 (pre-Witness) and its by far my most accurate 9mm. I had to put fully adjustables on it to take advantage of it.

[​IMG]

This was long before the original CZ 75 could be legally purchased here, this was purchased while Cold War was still raging. If buy was done now, I would go with the original, I'm a major fan of CZ firearms. But I cannot imagine the original being more accurate than this one.
  7. LDBennett

jrg:

I don't know if you read my post but here is my experience with the TZ-75:

"I had a CZ clone from that Italian company I bought in the mid 1980's. It was a terrible gun: The plate that held in the firing pin in the slide lost its grove in the slide and the slide became damaged. The importer went out of business and the gun had to be junked for lack of parts."

The EAA guns are worlds better, in my opinion.

LDBennett
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've seen a few really poorly fitted Witnesses (earlier ones) and some really nice TA90/TZ75s. Accurate ones and inaccurate ones and good triggers & poor triggers from both.
    I think Tanfoglio in general used to be pretty spotty with their quality.
    Depends on what day of the week the pistol was made? :D

A friend of mine has a late-80s TA90 and a newer (mid-90s) Witness and both are really good machines.
    I haven't had a chance to shoot any of the current EAA Witnesses but they still look like nicely fitted guns.
    I agree with Helix though...Since you can now get "the real deal" (CZ) over here for almost the same coin as a Tanfoglio I would probably stick with CZ myself if I had the itch for a double-stack 9mm or .40.
  9. LDBennett

My witness was new in 1995. It is well made both internally and externally, accurate, and reliable but I would still rather have a real CZ than a clone.

I have shot the Witness in 45ACP right beside the CZ 97B and there is little difference. But in the long run the CZ will hold its value better than the clone Witness.

LDBennett