EAA Witness

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by ReginaldPFisticuffs, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ReginaldPFisticuffs

ReginaldPFisticuffs New Member

How many of you guys have or have shot a Witness? I've found a Witness combo 9mm/22lr for about $450 with FFL transfer, and the gun feels great in my hands. Just curious what you guys thought of them?

pic related, the combo

Attached Files:

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I no longer have it, but I did own an EAA Witness in .45 ACP for quite a while. It was an accurate pistol and the recoil wasn't all that bad for a .45. Mine had the slots cut into the top of the barrel and slide. I'm have a brain fart right now and cannot for the life of me remember what you call that, maybe compensator.

Anyway, I really liked it. I had several .45s at that time so I sold it to a co-worker.
  3. armoredman

armoredman New Member

It's a Tanfoglio Force model, made in Italy by Fratelli Tanfoglio, an evolved clone of the CZ 75. Early versions, imported as the TZ 75, TA 90, P-9, imported by FIE, Excam, even Springfield Armory, were good solid guns. The Witness even has it's own clone, the Ar-24, as made by Sarsilmaz of Turkey.

I had 6 Witness pistols, all good solid reliable guns. If you want more, czfirearms.us has a dedicated Clone Club all about the various CZ copies out there.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I don't have anything made/imported by EAA, but that is a clone of the CZ 75 with the Kadet conversion. From everything I hear, they are very well made.

I prefer real CZs... but that doesn't count for anything in what you buy. If you like the way it feels in your hand, just wait until you shoot it. "Like" will turn into "love."
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've the .40 S&W /22lr version its great and $450 they got another? at that price i'd look at 9mm even ..

i took a good sized doe with mine the other week ..

the safety's are good and positive , no iffy'ness like some

the barrel dont move about none ( good sign of wear if they do)

i've passed the thousand round mark in it and its as tight as the day i got it and it works well in slush and mud

yeah i torture tested it some in the creeks and such around the place

prefer a 1911 in .45 but not legal here so for me , my budget and my usage i cant say enough about it

a good piece of kit over all , theres better sure but bang for buck? hard to beat eh
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Before the government allowed CZ to import guns (Czech made, behind Iron Curtain) I bought a TZ75 Italian Tanfoglio clone of the CZ75. It is the only gun I had to trash can in 25 years of shooting. FEI, the importer, went out of business and no parts were available and I need a new slide. The metal was soft and the firing pin retaining plate destroyed the back of the slide.

When EAA brought out the Witness I found it too was a Tanfoglio product so was reluctant to buy one but I still could not get a real CZ. When it appeared that Tanfoglio had changed, based on reports from users, I bought the 45ACP version. It is a very nice gun and does not have the durability problems of my earlier FEI import. Within a year after that CZ started importing guns (Iron Curtain fell) so I bought the CZ95, a 45ACP version of the CZ75.

I have shot both guns side by side for comparison. They are both big guns but for some reason the Witness fits my hand a tiny bit better (??). Both are accurate. Both triggers feel the same in let off. Both are accurate. They are both so good I'll not sell either one.

But some who report here say that some Witness CZ clones are really good and others not so much (??). I don't know about that. Mines a real keeper!

LDBennett
  7. JLA

JLA Moderator

Good weapons IMO. Buy it.
  8. bw1938

bw1938 New Member

Had an EAA Witness in 45 ACP. Great shooter. Excellent feel and super accurate. Only problem was that it only wanted to shoot ball ammo no matter how much throating and pollishing I did. So I sold it and I regret that I did.

Bob W
  9. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Its a very good weapon. It will need a bit of trigger work, but other than that I can not fault it.