Ear Protection for shooting

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Albtraum, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Plugs and muffs for the big power and nothing with a .22
  2. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i always use a good muff:eek:
  3. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I still have my Mickymouse ears from my flightline days. I think they work better than the cheap foamy plugs. If I need to get serious, I have molded earplugs that I had made for bike riding. Can't hear much of anything with those!
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ya but for the price of hearing aids you can buy about 2 nice guns.
  5. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Ya the wife keeps on me about getting some muffs but seriously I have no problems with disposable plugs, they fit well and render me almost deaf when I got them in right.
  6. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Plugs. I have the good ones and the disposable. I keep a set in my range bag, one in my work truck, and one in my car. Just in case I'm in a hurry when I decide to shoot and just grab ammo instead of my range bag. I also carry a few disposable ones in my range bag too, for shooters who forget theirs and I feel sorry for them
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use these muffs. They work great except when I fire off my Marlin 1895 SBL 45/70 it knocks the batteries loose.
    The plugs I use when I sleep. My wife snores like a Rhino but dont tell her I said that.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Plugs are not bad. My problem is if I don't protect my ears good they will ring and I don't like that so I double up.
  9. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I use both plugs and muffs. At the range you can pop off the muffs for rifle and the plugs work well. i use disposables only because i lose alot .But cya i've lost plenty of my hearing and it 's not a good thing.
  10. JasonS

JasonS New Member

THe more stuff I put on my head the more I feel like Im just playing a video game. I like good quality ear plugs. Once you got a hat on, my glasses, muffs, and a cigar, its just too much.
  11. Retired45

Retired45 New Member

Plugs and muffs. Used to use plugs only but years ago read a report that plugs alone still allowed hearing loss from bone conduction behind the ear. Don't know if it's true but decided to use both.
  12. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Thanks everyone for the input! Definitely gonna get a pair of ear muffs.

Hey sound guy, do you happen to know what guns or calibers are at the lowest or deepest range in frequency? A .22lr from a rifle makes that high pitch kapishhh sound so I figure that'd be one of the highest pitch ones
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  13. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i havn't done research into what rifles make what sound pattern. I just know the the larger and/or faster the cartridge or rate of fire.. the more ear protection i need..
  14. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Plugs and muffs when the fire is too loud. But always plugs because yes the muffs do get in the way of rifle stocks.
    Don't know how "muff only" rifle shooters get around that.