Ear Protection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jumeda33, Dec 8, 2009.

1. jumeda33

jumeda33 New Member

Hey everybody. Happy Holidays. I am looking to buy my first piece of ear protection. I think I want muffs instead of plugs but I am not really sure. What decibel number should I look at? What else should I take into consideration? Also looking for eye protection as well but I thought the ear thing would be more important so all advice will be most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

oh.... i didn't realize you could catch something from an ear??? :D

Gn
  3. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

Hi pardner...the electronic type...are neat for some..especially a range officer or wanting to hear most ambient sounds until firing.....and some are only $ 30 bucks I see.....

If you dont have any...at least start with plain muffs style...construction or shooting...make sure they mention some type " ansi" sound involvement above 29 db....mid 30's for sure....

Google..ear protection ...ansi standards...and go from there...as with most things...price helps quality...but study features...as well...meaning....do you really need a good ansi rated protection, that also might have am/fm stereo...etc...:D even if price looks ok...etc...

As with eyes....no slacking...get good ANSI rated protection...even if only the clear glasses style I use from Harbor Freight..I would spend more...only my prescription glasses ( never off) are also cert safety glass....

I have to add...after reading your quote... "but I thought the ear thing would be more important " made me picture taking ..oh...ten blind people.....ten deaf......than asking some preferences.....I think you see where Im goin...:rolleyes: good questions...stay safe and ask more if needed.... main answer is...optimul DB reduction ( hint: lower the number or rating..the more sound it will muffle or protect from....)...I know more experts will comment...but just google...stay below 31-35 db anyway...

regards,

yellerdawg / Randall
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I have muffs and plugs, there's a big difference in the noise reduction. Muffs win! Spend the small amount more that they cost and save your ears.
    My .44 magnum is still moderately loud with plugs, but quite comfortable to shoot with muffs.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I use the Radian Ears electronics when shooting light stuff and running power equipment. I like them. Shooting the heavy load shotguns and pistols, I double up with muffs. You have to work with the controls on the electronic ear plugs when covering them with muffs, to keep them from squealing. That's where the Radians come into their own, because they have both volume and tone (treble / bass) controls.

Make sure your muffs make a tight seal around the glasses' ear pieces. That is a leak many people are not aware of until too late.

Pops
  6. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Do what I do small stuff like .22 muffs and big stuff wear both.I have a big of hearing damage from heavy equipment,motorcycles etc. so it does bug me a bit.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

+1 on radians. I have several different brands but they are the best. Gargoyles for glasses is all I ever use. Too many eye injuries for me to go cheap. I've been lucky twice and don't want in to ruin out now.
  8. wingspar

wingspar Member

Muffs. I don’t trust those little plugs. Even a cheap pair is good. Don’t need to spend a ton of money. Until recently, I had no idea there was such a thing as electronic muffs, but high tech sells. They will gladly take all the money you give them.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Mid 30s? Never seen any that strong. 29 or 30 seems to be max.

I've got two types of muffs. Large pair, 29 reduction, and "shotgun" muffs, 22 reduction. The shotgun have a notch at the bottom of the muff. Easier to get on a rifle stock. I wear the big ones with pistol and the smaller with rifle, and if it is a loud gun, of whichever, I put plugs on under the muffs.
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Run the muffs' strap around the back of your head and you can still wear your cowboy hat. Works for me, but you might have to wiggle them around a bit to get the right fit.

Pops
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Well I'm pretty cheap over here, lol, so I just use a pair of earplugs from work, and my safety glasses from work. They work.
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Depends on your brand of muffs. Silencio, you can do that with. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=1024193489 Peltor, you can't. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=568680

However, Peltor makes muffs that go behind your head.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=150311
  13. 00BUSA

00BUSA New Member

Two cents...

I like the Howard Leight OD Green with the microphone technology. Allows me to hear the instructor when we're not firing. As far as glasses, I agree Helix. After having several "close calls", I swore that I would never go cheap. I ended up going with a pair of WileyX. Have never had an issue. Get a pair of glasses that comes with indoor, outdoor and color tinted.

There is a good blog called "Gear For Your Rear" at RangeLog.
  14. 1990Bulldog

1990Bulldog New Member

I started with plugs but I prefer ear muffs. I have a pack of plugs that I keep in my bag for others to use.
  15. scrat

scrat New Member

I have them both. i find myself using the plugs more. i got a deal on 5 boxes of 3M ear plugs for 40.00. so i bought them. Well each box had 200 sets. i thought id use them in know time. LOL i found myself selling a few of the boxes as we needed the space. I stil have two boxes. As for the difference. I shoot outdoor ranges. Where i go its like 10.00 for all day. get there at maybe 8am eat breakfast then set up. by 10am your going to throw those ear muffs. at first they are great but after a while the constant pressure and your ears getting all hot is going to get to you. Even my boys are reaching for the ear plugs after a couple of hours. they are just way more comfortable. now if you want to get ear plugs type in ear plugs on an auction site. you can pick up a box usually for about 10.00 that will have 200 sets of ear plugs in them.