The Firearms Forum banner

Early English fowler???

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I am in the process of trying to identifying a flintlock rifle for a friend who inherited it after he father passed away. After looking around online, I think this may be an early styled english fowler. It looks to be in rough shape (I only have modern firearms so everything old looks rough to me :D) it has no engravings, front and rear sights, wooden ramrod and a rifled barrel. I believe they want to sell it so if possible I would like to know if it is in decent condition and what the value would be. Below are a few pics to help identify what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

- John

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you post a lot more pictures off it. Close ups of all metal parts and screws would help, the end of the muzzle showing the rifling if possible, diminsions of the rifle like lenght, LOP, length of barrel, and any others. ANY markings at all on either side of the lock, inside or out as well. To be honest, first impressions is an older reproduction but need lots more info to tell for sure if it is or not.

#3 ·
Also describe or picture any proof marks. An English or Belgian gun should have proof marks. I don't think it is a repro but it appears to be a very plain gun and most English fowlers were quite high class since they were made for wealthy people who either owned estates or who would be invited to shoot on an estate. Of course a fowler would not be rifled. The buttstock looks early, but the double neck cock would be later.

Looking forward to more pics and description.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.