Early model Browning takedown 22 cal. rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Tcollector, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Tcollector

Tcollector New Member

Question: I have two early model Browning takedown 22 cal. auto rifles. Neither have serial numbers, and according to what I've read, this means that the rifles were manufactured prior to 1956, the year that Browning began adding serial numbers to these rifles. Both have rear sight wheels and are near mint condition. On the butt plates of both rifles there are numbers imprinted --- the lowest number on one of the rifles is 9548, as best I recollect. What do these numbers mean? If added by the importer, is there any way to estimate the years of manufacture? Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. TreeRatKiller

TreeRatKiller New Member

I also have 2 brownings semi's-one short one lr,the short is old with the skinny stock,early type rear sight and metal butt plate,I have just looked at it and it has no numbers stamped on the butt plate.I live in UK so maybe as you say they are importers numbers,sorry I cant help but I will look into it.