Early Pre-War Model 62

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Borie, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Borie

Borie New Member

Today I bought an early pre-war Winchester Model 62. From what I have learned, it is an early pre-war because of the serial number (made in 1936), the short fore-arm and the "Model 62" on the barrel. However, the serial number on the bottom of the receiver has an "A" stamped after the number. The "A" is slightly smaller than the numbers. The same serial number on the tang does not have the "A" at the end. Does this make sense?
    Also, can someone point me to where I can find the procedure for removing the bolt so I can clean it, or possibly tell me how to do it? Thank you in advance for any and all replies.
  2. Gene Brown

Gene Brown New Member

In order to remove the bolt in a Winchester Md 62 you will need to:
    (1) Make sure gun is not loaded
    (2) Remove take down screw and separate buttstock-trigger guard end from the receiver and forearm end assembly.
    (3) Remove inner mag. tube out of gun
    (4) Next remove outer mag. tube by removing pin in band next to forearm
    (5) Pull forward the outer tube toward muzzle
    (6) The tube is brought past the first band and at this time you will twist carefully at a ninety the tube thus removing the second band from the barrel.
    (7) The other bands are removed by inserting a drift rod the same diameter as the band, so as not to bend or warp the band -- twist them at a ninety and remmove.
    (8) At this time look on the side of the receiver and remove the slide plate screw.
    (9) Remove action bar with forearm toward muzzle
    (10) The bolt has a latch connected to the firing pin. Press in the firing pin at the rear and pull up on the front of the bolt and it will come out.

The gun is disassembled to the point that you asked. This will allow you access to the breech end of the barrel for cleaning. As this is by memory I hope I havn't left any procedure out.
  3. Borie

Borie New Member

Gene - Wow - after reading your procedure I'm wondering if maybe the manufacturer did not intend it to be cleaned from the breech end of the barrel. I always thought it was not good to clean a gun from the muzzle because you were pushing all the gunk into the gun. I have a Winchester model 61 and it comes apart in less than a minute in about 2-3 steps. I guess I should look for a flexible snake type cleaning kit. Thanks for the information.