Early Radom VIS

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bdfinst, Jan 28, 2007.

1. bdfinst

bdfinst New Member

I have a Radom pistol I purchased a few years ago and I'm wondering if anyone has information on it.

It's a first generation 3 lever Radom with Nazi markings and butt stock slot.

Serial: C74XX
    Markings on slide are:
    F.B.RADOM VIS Mod. 35 Pat. Nr 15567
    "P.35(B)"

Also has several waffenamt markings (Eagle with "W&A 77" as well as eagle with "823")

Bluing is 99% with no holster wear and original barrel with bright bore.

The really interesting thing is the grips. Instead of the plastic grips I've seen, they appear to be walnut with the typical Radom markings stamped into them (FB on one side and VIS on the other). The grips do not appear to be late additions and I've not seen another set like them.

Radom VIS.JPG
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, I can't help you on the wooden grips. All of the early VIS P-35s (Radom was the arsenal where they were made) that I've seen had the plastic grips. The very late ones were parkerized, pretty crude, and had plain wooden grips.

Yours appears to be, indeed, and early Nazi Type I Slotted.....and if not a reblue, it appears to be in remarkable condition.

If that's the original finish, the Blue Book lists it at:

"P-35 Automatic Nazi Type 1 Slotted:

98% - $800
    95% - $600
    90% - $450
    80% - $300"

The Blue Book also says...."Note: Certain Radoms with German acceptance marks will bring a premium"....but it doesn't say which or how much.

Anyway.....very pretty gun! :)
  3. bdfinst

bdfinst New Member

To my eye, not a refinish. The markings are all very sharp. Thanks for the info!

Bryan
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Looking at the pics, I would date it about 1938-39, a late commercial/early occupation pistol. Worth whatever you can get, but IMHO,the finish appears right for the timeframe, and original, from the markings.
    That being said, were I to own the gun, and wish to sell it, I'd put no less than $1500US on the tag, and expect close to that.
    This appears to be an unmolested sample of the european gun trade, before the war, excepting only the slotting of the butt, which was arguably, a wartime change; the gun is entirely too clean to sell at bargain price.
  5. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

I had an early pre-occupation VIS P-35, ser. # under 2000 with no prefix or suffix. It had an extremely smooth, glassy finish (polish) but with a satin gloss bluing. There was not a tool mark on that gun, inside or out, and it was probably the most accurate 9m/m, or service pistol for that matter, that I have ever encountered. It put commercial pistols to shame with its worksmanship. It had the Polish eagle on the slide, and there were no German markings. It had black hard rubber or plastic grips, and did have the slot milled into the backstrap for a detachable stock.
    I have had some early occcupation ones too, like the one you have here, and they were very nice pistols, but did not compare to the early pre-occupation one. I've had examples of those with the plastic grips and with the impressed wooden grips such as yours has.
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER
  6. bdfinst

bdfinst New Member

Now a pre-occupation version is a nice piece. One of the rare instances where the LACK of Nazi markings increases the value.

According to all of the history I've read, the slot for the buttstock is original to the design. Not very many buttstocks were issued though and the slot was deleted in later versions.

Based on the feedback, I did pretty well on the purchase. :)
  7. jonson911

jonson911 New Member

I have a P.35 in very fine condition that seems to be unusual. The serial number is "1950" with no prefix, apparently making it a pre-occupation piece. It has the WaAmt proof marks, three levers, and a shoulder stock socket so I'm guessing it's from the first group after the German invasion - maybe one of a production run that was under way when the factory was taken over since the SN doesn't follow German practice, as I understand it. Anyhow, this one is pretty nice - glassy finish, blueing showing only holster wear, no rust or pitting, bright rifling, etc. The holster (also with WaAmt stamp) was cut down (during the War) from the original, for shoulder wear.

If anyone has any ideas about this gun I'd like to hear them. It has been in my family since maybe 1945 when my uncle brought it back from Europe. I have no idea where he got it. He was in the Royal Canadian Air Force, so he probably won it in a card game or something.
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

jonson, your pistol was likely 'conficated' as a compteted arm, still in the factory, and got the Waffen stamps, accordingly. I'm working off the top of my head, but production date ought to be '36, '37. Very early, and these were awsome, in workmanship!
    Given the provenance, it seems unlikely that it will ever be sold, but, it is a significant weapon; so said, schedule it separately, on your Homeowner's policy, at not less than $1500; you could never replace it, but this is what I would prepare to spend for a comparable pistol; the Holster might well bring $200. Hope this helps!
  9. measure

measure New Member

RADOM VIZ 35. Markings on the left side : The polish Eagle. To the left of it : F. B. Radom over 1938 – To the right - VIS-wz 35 over pat. Nr. 15567. In fornt of trigger : Inside an Oval, D over 2. On the right side : S/N : 155XX (no letters here) – On the trigger both left and right side : Markings.
    Inside : 155XX - Barrel : 882
    Black bakkelit grip. Exellent condition.
    Having an original clening rod too.

Attached Files:

10. ehughes

ehughes New Member

What would one with the stock be valued at?
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Mr Hughes, a pistol as nice as these, WITH a matching numbered stock, would be a 'write your own check', kinda deal, as they just do not turn up!
    I suspect I could walk one into the HGCA, show, the Tulsa/Wannamacher show, or the show in Vegas, and buy a used car, with the proceeds; eucated guess, mid four figures.
  12. ehughes

ehughes New Member

wow, i asked because a friend of mine has one......guess I should tell him that....:rolleyes:
  13. SCHARFSHUTZEN

SCHARFSHUTZEN New Member

A STOCK LIKE THIS? CHARLIE, K

Attached Files:

14. SCHARFSHUTZEN

SCHARFSHUTZEN New Member

OR, LIKE THIS. CHARLIE, K

Attached Files:

15. SCHARFSHUTZEN

SCHARFSHUTZEN New Member

stash247,
    Thank you for your comment on my Radom pistol and stock, I was thinking of
    putting it in the gun auction.
    but I didn't think it could bring that much, I figured if I got $4000.00 or
    $5000.00 I would be happy.
    What are your thoughts on the other stock?
    thanks
    charlie, k