The Firearms Forum banner

Early Walther PPK question

4K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there,
Could anybody tell me more about this early PPK? Production year, rarity, value, etc?
Its serial number is 762XXX. The blueing I estimate to be more than 95%, no specific markings on it.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello
We need more closer pics of the weapon, as there are markings I need to see before a price can be determined. Your pistol was manufactured in 1932 & as I said we need more pics to give you a price.
Kind Regards
Danny

#3 ·
Hello
We need more closer pics of the weapon, as there are markings I need to see before a price can be determined. Your pistol was manufactured in 1932 & as I said we need more pics to give you a price.
Kind Regards
Danny
Hello,
unfortunately I do not have this gun physically yet... On the picture you will see the only marking which exists on the gun, although it is not very clearly visible. Only "N" I can see for sure.
Regards

Attachments

#9 ·
No, it does not appear to be refinished. Pending a hands-on inspection.
On the early guns, the serial number was applied to read correctly from the muzzle.
The frame proof mark is nearly invisible in the photo, yet it's there. I suspect the proof which cannot be seen on the frame is actually there as well. Again, pending a hands-on inspection.

#10 · (Edited)
Well, I see some tiny markings that could be proof marks, even zooming, my eyes don't quite make it out. Here's what I do see, a PPK, made in the second year of production of the PPK series, proper 60 degree safety, a slight crack { bad karma and reduces the value } on the right grip, other wise a early PPK in excellent condition, whose value could go North of a thousand dollars { even with the cracked grip }. Others may have more information or more valid information, but that's my take. :) for goodness sake, if you plan on shooting it ( and there's really no reason not too } please take off the grips and use different ones.

#13 ·
The OP asked also for a value for this pistol. I am curious as well because I would love to find a decent older PPK. So, figuring that it is original and not refinished ( it doesn't look to me like it was ever refinished either), what is an approximate value for it? I'm thinking it's worth probably around $600 but I could very well be way off the mark. I don't think it would be worth much less though.

#15 ·
The finish on the gun appears to be too dull for that era.
That could be due to lighting used in making the pictures, or it could be a refinished gun.
Please, obtain clean, in-focus, pictures in NATURAL light without flash of the left side of the slide and a close-up of the Crown/n proofmark on the right side.

#16 ·
The finish on the gun appears to be too dull for that era.
That could be due to lighting used in making the pictures, or it could be a refinished gun.
Please, obtain clean, in-focus, pictures in NATURAL light without flash of the left side of the slide and a close-up of the Crown/n proofmark on the right side.
I will, when I have the gun.

#18 · (Edited)
After careful inspection, I think it has been cold blued at sometime. The c/n & the sn# show high buffing. As a collector I would not buy it, unless I just wanted a good shooter.Also as noted before the barrel or ejection port should be in the white & not blued.
Kind Regards
Danny

#19 ·
After careful inspection, I think it has been cold blued at sometime. The c/n & the sn# show high buffing. As a collector I would not buy it, unless I just wanted a good shooter.
Kind Regards
Danny
I don't think we have good enough pictures Danny to be able to make that determination yet. Decent high resolution pictures with natural sunlight or fluorescent lighting would show us a lot more.

#21 ·
Hi Again,
I have been collecting these & the PP version for many years & have sold most of my Walthers. Never have I seen blued barrel housings on any of them. Most of them have the C/N on the housing also. If you are judging by what this guy sells, well I know him & I would not buy a apple from him. I went to the site & had to leave it in disgust. Anyway that is my prognosis on your pistol. I have helped a many men & women from getting ripped off before they spent their monies on junk. As mentioned early on, if you can get it for 400 to 450 , jump on it for sure.
Kind Regards,
Danny

#22 ·
Danny is wrong once again. You're correct when you state that there are many out there where that portion of metal seen through the ejection port is blued. It's not the "barrel housing" that you see through the ejection port, but a part of the frame. That part of the frame was blued along with the rest of the frame and in some cases, was not polished after bluing to bring it back to white. Often seen in late production guns.

#23 ·
This wartime example with blued frame as seen through the ejection port was in my collection for years. I eventually donated it to a charity auction on another gun site.

Attachments

#24 ·
Here is another one with blued frame as viewed through the ejection port. Before you take issue with this one, Danny, I am also posting a pic of the SS officer who surrendered this one to my uncle called "Sundown" He sits here in captivity. So the provenance for this one is complete to May 1945.
If you want, you can go to the Military section of this site and view nearly 500 photos which I've posted there, documenting his charge across Europe with Patton and the 11th Armored. The thread is titled "WWII Photos and Documents" It has had more than 32,000 views in less than two years.

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
Steve what kind of s##t are you talking about. Sure when the pistol has the slide back you are going to see bluing from the slide. This issue is getting out of hand & I am going to write a friend of mine a letter to tell you his thoughts. Tell me, are you friends with Tom W? If so, it would be a good example why you are making me look like a fool. I have both a 1929 PP & 1931 PPK. Pull the slides back & you will see the barrels are in a sorta black metal, not blue.
The barrel housing is in the white. Go to all the auction sites & see the PPs & PPKs and see the housing with the C/N or E/N markings. Not all of these pistols had this marking. By the way Steve we are talking about early prewar pistols, not war time. Your PPK is one of the last ditch pistols, where they were not taking in consideration what it looked like, but functioned as a combatants weapon in the field.

#26 ·
Sorry Danny, I am really not trying to pull any s**t. You said that you had never seen a Walther with the frame section visible through the ejection port blued. I showed you two and I'm sure that I could find many others. Making a statement such as you did might possibly cause new collectors to write off all blued examples as specious. That would be wrong.

And I'm not sure to whom you are referring. Tom W.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.