The Firearms Forum banner

Early Winchester 1892

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Bert H. 
#1 ·
A family friend inherited an early winchester serial number 260xx chambered in .38wcf. I knew enough when seeing it that it probably had decent collector value so I snapped a few pics and I hope I got the right views because it's probably in Nevada by now.

As to the rifle, it had great heft to it. The lever action was as smooth as my new Rossi 1892 clone and the trigger was crisp and light; maybe 2 pounds or so.

Any idea as to value? Many thanks in advance.
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Shotgun

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It has value just because it is a Winchester 1892. It has no real finish or condition left. 2 lbs on the trigger sounds too light. I think the rear sight is from a Savage. I would the value is between 700 to 900 dollars. The octagon barrel is a plus. The only thing that can be done to improve the gun is to install the correct rear sight.

#5 ·
Gary,

If the serial number is 260xx as you indicated in your first post, it was manufactured in March of 1894 versus 1904, which makes it a bona fide "Antique" per federal regulations.

I agree with Mike that the graded condition is on the low end of the scale, but I do not agree with his value estimate (it is a bit too low). Based on the fact that it is a pre-1899 production Sporting Rifle, it is worth approximately $1300.

In addition to replacing the non factory original rear sight with a correct sight, most of the screws head slots need to be repaired or replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.