Easier to Grab My Balls

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by onetuza, Oct 1, 2011.

1. onetuza

onetuza New Member

I'm new to C&B and during my first range visit I was surprised to find it difficult to grab my balls out of the box they came in, I suppose due to the relative weight. I'd seen others put individual recesses in the base to hold 6 or so, but I wanted something different.
    Well, as an anal retentive Virgo, I set about to remedy this problem. Below is the result:

[​IMG]

First I put a snap top on a small water bottle to use as a dispenser. It works great. I dump a bunch in my hand and load the tubes. I took my standard hinged stand and glued brass shoulder washers and lengths of 1/2" i.d. clear acrylic tubing to it. I slanted the cuts at the bottom so I can grab a ball with thumb and index finger. Pull one ball, the next drops down in place. 9 each tube, 18 total, enough for three rounds.

[​IMG]

When the revolver is removed, the vertical portion of the stand easily flops over even without the ball tubes. If for some reason I had to remove the revolver with the tube full, my balls would likely end up all over the floor, so I recessed and glued in two cylindrical neodymium magnets in the base and screwed in two flat head screws into the bottom edge of the hinged portion. Holds well and can be closed with minimum effort. I also added four large peel and stick rubber thingies on the bottom of the unit to keep it from slipping around while loading.

[​IMG]

So, now I'm ready for my next project.
    BTW, the glue used was E6000 crafts glue.
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Well it seems you"ve got your balls well in hand, Good job. And thanks for the tip! Also welcome to TFF. :D
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome to TFF! Man, you really need to get a pattent on that! Anyone into BP would love to have one. Design another for long guns, and pattent it too! Production would be a simple task, and would not cost a lot!
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Not sure if you saw something similar and created that or you did that from scratch, but its pretty darn cool. Welcome aboard!
  5. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

6. onetuza

onetuza New Member

Totaly from scratch. My own idea. Believe it or not, I thought of the bottom chamber firing revolver about six months before I saw the Rhino advertised in magazines. http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Rhino_Revolver_Black_2-inch_Barrel_Chiappa_Firearms_1.jpg

These ideas float around on the astral plane waiting to be acted upon.
  7. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Then do something with it!You have witnesses that have seen your idea published online,we can assume you want to retain intellectual property rights to it?If so,state so,and run with it!
  8. terminator

terminator Member

9. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Very nice
  10. brad87

brad87 Former Guest

now that, is freakin brilliant, sir. if i shot bp pistol, i'd be making myself one of those ASAP
  11. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

This is a good idea, those little suckers are tough to catch in the box, especially in cold weather.
  12. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    A habdy little trick to BP balls for rifles (can be used for revolvers as well I reckon) and single shot hand guns is to find a piece of cane that the balls will fit into. Cane has a natural barrier in it every so many inches so cut one end below the barrire and one end above. The end with the barrier in it will be the bottom allowing you to stack balls in it and use a cork or wood stoper on the open end to close it up. You can then carry enough for a 1-2 day hunt easier than carrying them in a possibles bag loose or in a ball bag plus when you want a ball, uncork the olen end and you can easiely get one ball out at a time. When on a day hunt or a short 2 day hunt I carry them that way so I only carry a limited amount of stuff in my possibles bag or just carry a haversack with no possibles bag plus a powder horn. Cane can also be used to carry pre-set powder charges as well thus you do not have to carry a powder horn.