Easier to shoot accurately? Tomcat vs. .45

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodman, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Hello, all.

My dilemma...I've wanted a .45 since getting a 40S&W, and I now have two. A Colt 01091 (1991 Gov't Stainless 5") and a Para CCW7 .

But the Tomcat .32 just acquired is shooting more accurately. Quick eight round groups right on target. It seems I can never miss with this little Beretta.

I would figure I'd be more accurate with the 5" and 4.25" barrels (of the .45's) vs. the 2.5" Tomcat.

Is it that I have not found the "sweet spot" in the sights of the .45's? The round is so much more powerful than the .32ACP that I have trouble seeing exactly where impact occurs, where as with the .32, everything seems an open book.

Just tell me, do I need to spend more time with my .45's? Or perhaps I found a gun/caliber combination that works well for me?

Also, what casual target ammo would you suggest for the .45's? FMJ is what I stick with on those guns.

R/

J.
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Are we talking rapid fire here?

The diff may be your reaction to recoil - more accurately, your recovery from recoil. Stick with 230FMJ - it removes variables from the equation. Start with slow fire drills and get your basics down - accuracy first, speed will come on its own.
  3. Woodman

Woodman New Member

I am just about through my American Eagle FMJ 230 gr. Some of the brass didn't seem to like the breech of the Para.
    It is either break-in or slightly out-of-tolerance cheap ammo.

I'm not firing the .45 quickly, just poorly. It seems the Tomcat is easier to sight. Maybe what it is, is that the smaller caliber is easier to shoot...
  4. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i have read several complaint lately about ae ammo ,with kimbers and wilsons

i have 3 .45's ,but i feel more deadly with my .22 buckmark ,at least for now anyway ,if i can get back to practice i will have no problem with doing with my wilson what i can do with my .22
  5. Woodman

Woodman New Member

So, I'm not ready for reloading, but I don't want to spend a fortune on .45 ammo. And I still want to shoot a hundred rounds of it a week.

And I love my Buckmark, too. When I got it sighted in, after 1500 rounds, I was AMAZED at what it can do.

Ah, I'm starting to see...smaller caliber...easier to control...more relaxed?

But my Colt 40S&W shot way better than my .380...so, this analogy doesn't exactly stand up.
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Woodman, have a friend watch you shoot to see if you are flinching.

Then let us know.

The 1911 should be more accurate than the Tom Cat.
  7. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

8. Woodman

Woodman New Member

I shot well at CCW "firearms safety class". In fact, the instructor asked if I shot a lot, which I do. I have a tendancy to drop the barrel halfway into the mag ; overall, I was shooting my best, since I know I had eight hours to kill, the targets and range time were "free", as included, and my Colt had just gotten a factory trigger job.

I need to "see" the target I am shooting, not the sights. Sometimes it seems the sights are blocking by view of the target.
  9. Woodman

Woodman New Member

gpostal - that target is for real, right?

You are not pulling my leg, like the time someone was going bear hunting and asked me if I wanted to make some money as a "bear chaser"?
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I learned on that target and it is very accurate in what you are doing wrong. Use it. You will improve 100%.
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Woodman......I think that you're trying to shoot the .45 the same way you shoot the .32.

With the .32, you can fight the recoil.....with a .45 you've got to let it recoil! If you're trying to fight the recoil of a .45, you're gripping it wrong and probably flinching.

Try this (I assume you're right handed).....aim your .45 with your right hand......grasp your right wrist with your left hand....we want to keep that right wrist absolutely locked and straight. Slowly squeeze the trigger. When the gun fires, let it recoil upward with the wrist locked and and using the elbows as a pivot point. Then, with the wrist still locked, lower it back to the target using the elbows as a pivot point, aim, and fire again.

Buy some snap caps and practice dry firing the .45 this way.

Remember.....locked wrist.....loose elbows.

After a while, this method will be second nature to you and you won't have to grasp your right wrist with the left hand.

My favorite shooting position with an M1911 is to cup my left hand under my right hand.......but remember, you've got to keep that right wrist locked and let the gun "rock and roll".
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I presume the opposite is true for southpaws?

SoMo and I both are left handed and that sounds like real good advice. We regularly shoot the Borwning Hi-Power Practical 9mm and will be doing the same with my new Springfield Mil-Spec. Even with her very small hands she is able to handle the Browning well and by comparison the Springfield grip is the same size so I suspect she'll handle it well, also.
  13. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Alright, I will give it a try. Makes sense, and I know I have not used a consistent grip. And am probably fighting the recoil.

I'm just about out of American Eagle 230 gr. and am going to buy Fiocchi, S&B, and PMC FMJ 230 gr, 150 of each, and try those.

I've liked the AE in the other calibers, but they do not feed right in the Para. The case seems a hair...off? It might be the gun, and break-in, but I've been told before to move up to a better plinking ammo for the .45
  14. Woodman

Woodman New Member

And Thank you All !!
  15. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

theres also another thing to check out. how does the .32 fit in your hand vs. the .45? look to see where your trigger finger sets on the trigger of the .32 vs. the .45. your trigger finger should set between the ball of your finger and the first joint of your finger. if it sets to far to the left or right of your finger it'll cause you to pull more to the left or right as you pull the trigger.