Eastern Arms 16 Gauge

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by BSrock, Jan 7, 2012.

1. BSrock

BSrock New Member

I was recently given my Great Grand Fathers 16 Gauge Eastern Arms Shotgun. What a nice ole gal to take care of. I've taken the gun apart to clean and lube and the only identifying marks are 105.9 & B5154 aft of the trigger, and Eastern Arms on the left side of the main body. I understand that several companies manufactured these guns for Sears. Can anyone provide me more information as to the manufacturer and the year of manufacture?
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Ben,
    Welcome to the forum..
    Bill Goforth's research indicates that H&R made shotguns marked "Eastern Arms" for Sears in 1940 and 1941. The number B5154 stamped on the trigger guard tang seems to be an H&R "type" of serial #, which would have been used in 1941 - that fits with the research.
    At that time H&R's large frame shotgun was the Model 08 Standard and that's the one that would correspond to an Eastern Arms/Sears gun from 1941.
    I would like to see some pics of your GGrand father's shotgun, especially of the left side of the receiver and top of barrel.
    Thanks,
    Jim
  3. BSrock

BSrock New Member

Here are the pictures of the pieces. I have them apart for cleaning.

Attached Files:

4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

BSrock,
    Thanks for the pics - if that isn't an H&R shot gun, somebody was making "clones" in the early '40s. Yes, I'm 99% sure that is an H&R Model 08 STANDARD. It has the H&R EJECTOR system (the "claw" shape is identical) - not extractor. Can you post a pic of the butt plate?
    Also, may I file your photos in my reference pic file?
  5. BSrock

BSrock New Member

Attached are a few more pictures. One is of the stock end with the pad next to it, and I included a picture of the trigger guard. Please feel free to add these pictures to you files.

Attached Files:

6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

BS,
    Thanks for the additional pics. The butt pad is identical to those used by H&R back in the 1940-'41 era.
    Also thanks for permission to "steal" your pics.

IMG_2355.jpg
  7. BSrock

BSrock New Member

Thanks for all your great information. It's nice to have an old original piece that was my GGrand fathers. I'm going to clean it up, lube it, and maybe take it to the range and see if it still shoots good. I know these old barrels are not like today, and that the modern shells don't use the same type of powder, so, I think I'll just keep to the simple lead 71/2 small game loads.
    Thanks again!
  8. BSrock

BSrock New Member

Jim,
    What is your opinion about cleaning this old gun up and rebluing the metal? I would like this piece to be in the family for many more years, and want to protect the metal. All the metal looks really good. Just wanted to know.
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

BSrock,
    You're welcome. How's about #8 low brass low velocity low dram equivalent wgt. target loads? They're around I've used some for TRAP shooting.
    Your gun has limited value to shooters and/or collectors - certainly less than $90. I have absolutely no negative feelings if you were to have that heirloom piece cleaned and reblued. The receivers on those may have been case colored at that time, but they will take bluing - just mention that to the smith. Also, tell him you want to retain as much of the markings as possible. Keep all the history you have with the gun - so future owners will know more about it. Good luck. If you decide to go that route, howsabout posting some pics of the finished product?
  10. BSrock

BSrock New Member

Thanks Jim,
    I realized the value wasn't as a collectable, but my family was raised in woods hunting and fishing, and this is a nice piece of our past. We weren't into decorate guns, more the practical use type of gun. I have the gun completely apart now, and all the parts look great. I've taken pictures to identify their location in the completed gun. When I'm done and have it back together, I'll take some pictures and send them to you. The receiver shows signs of a different kind of finsish. Is this original fish available or replicable? If not, I'll just have it blued like the rest. Do you have a source for #8 low brass? I'll keep an eye out for them. Thanks.
  11. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Here's a place that I've dealt with in the past. They have a good in stock rep. for the less commonly found ammo as well as the most common ammo.
    Recently, I found 16 ga. #8s at DICK's SPORTING GOODS. A bit more expensive than Walmart or K-Mart, but the one I go to usually has a couple cases on hand.
    Other than some of those 1930s & 40s shot guns having a case colored frame, there seems to have been some with a "blued" receiver, also. I can't tell from the pics, how your piece was originally treated. Color case hardening can be and is still done - but it is very expensive. I don't know what your budget is, but total blueing seems to me to be the least costly finish - ESPECIALLY if you do the preliminary cleaning and polishing - that's the time consuming and expensive part of any refinish project.
    Waiting on the pics.

p.s. Check with member STONECHIMNEY. I'm pretty sure he does refinishing and can give you an estimate.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  12. BSrock

BSrock New Member

Thanks Jim. I have a Dicks not too far from here and I'll check out their 16 Gauge stock. The original finish can be seen in the bottom view of the receiver where the trigger comes through. It has a bluing with a gold/broze tint on either side. Is this the expensive process you speed of? I don't mind the cost. I would like to clean, prep, and polish the parts to insure I don't remove too much information. Thanks.