Eastern Arms Company

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by barrucuda, Jun 6, 2011.

1. barrucuda

barrucuda New Member

Any body got any info about Eastern Arms Company. I just got a 12ga 3" chamber single shot. the only thing on the barrel it says Proof Tested 12 Gauge. on the other side it says Selected Forged Steel. I haven't shot it yet but i intend to as it locks up nice and tight. im curios to know if the 3'' chamber is meant for modern shells or if this is one of those early 1900s experiments. ive read some on the net these were built by either Stevens or Iver Johnson for Sears and Roebuck.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Eastern Arms was indeed a Sears and Roebuck " Store Brand " in the first part of the 20Th century. Sears used the name Eastern Arms Co., on which ever gun company submitted the lowest bit that year. Company's that furnished shotguns for Sears under the Eastern name, Iver Johnson ( one year ), Stevens, Meriden and Crescent. One thing for certain, your shotgun never left the factory with a 3 inch chamber. Unless some one would go to the expense of having the chamber lengthen, it is 2 3/4 chamber. Remember, a shotgun chamber is 1/4 inch longer than the shell it is chambered for. That extra 1/4 inch of space is for the "roll crimp" to expand. A 3 inch shell will fit into a shotgun that is chambered for 2 3/4, but firing it will create dangerous pressure in a shotgun made using 1920's metallurgy. Value on these old Store Brand single shot shotguns is not great, in well worn condition mabe 50 to 75 dollars. Good luck:)
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

FWIW, one poster on another site denies Eastern was a Sears brand, saying it was a trade name used by a hardware distributor of that name.

One thing is sure, the history of all those trade names and brand names will never be fully known. Makers were not required to keep any records and serial numbers were not required on rifles and shotguns until 1968. Cresent, one prolifigate maker, put on literally hundreds of brand names; any one buying as few as ten guns could have his name or his company name put on them. In addition, Savage, Stevens, Iver Johnson, and others would do the same. Meriden was owned by Sears, but Sears also purchased guns from other companies.

Jim
  4. barrucuda

barrucuda New Member

thanks guys. RJay thanks for the tip on the roll crimp. shot the gun yesterday and it works great on soda cans and clay pigeons.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

IIRC, ( probably not :) ) the wording ' Selected Forged Steel ' was used on Steven shotguns.
  6. barrucuda

barrucuda New Member

thanks again. Stevens sure made a lot of guns under different names. apparently i have a closet load of Stevens and din't even know it. I think your right about the select forged steel because my Stevens 16 single has the same words in the same location.

thanks again RJay
  7. periklis kouris

periklis kouris New Member

Hello, if u r still interested you got to know that yr gun was built much later and it is totally safe to shoot with (as long as you have checked the barrel for corrosion). Personally I have shot thousands of rounds with exactly the same gun you are describing (yes modern shells) contact me if u have any questions.(perikouris@gmail.com)
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If you have an Eastern .410 and have been shooting 3 inch shells, then I bet you also like to play Russian Roulette, Just MHO.