Easy Cranberry and Apple Cake...easy, smells good and warms up the kitchen!

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by mjp28, Oct 29, 2012.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

My wife "NJ" likes cranberry and apple recipes since I had this one all typed up and ready to go I figured I'd share it with all of you. ENJOY. ;)

Easy Cranberry and Apple Cake

Total Time: 1 hr 12 min. Prep15 min. Cook 57 min.
    Yield: 6 to 8 servings. Level: Easy

Ingredients
    12 ounces fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over for stems
    1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
    1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
    1 tablespoon grated orange zest (2 oranges)
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    1 1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
    2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
    1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
    Combine the cranberries, apple, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
    In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. With the mixer on medium, add 1 cup of the granulated sugar, the butter, vanilla, and sour cream and beat just until combined. On low speed, slowly add the flour and salt.

Pour the fruit mixture evenly into a 10-inch glass pie plate. Pour the batter over the fruit, covering it completely. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle it over the batter. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the fruit is bubbling around the edges. Serve warm or at room temperature.
  2. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

We're having a small Thanksgiving here this year and I think she's going to make this recipe.

Thanksgiving, wow it won't be long now.
  3. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

How do I delete the pics now? Sorry folks.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    On my list to try soon. I also love apple/cranberry recipes, my favorite apple pie has cranberries in it. Just make your regular apple pie and then sprinkle a small handful on top of the filling before you add the crust. A grin in every bite.
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

You and my wife and mother-in-law too, both of them like the grannie smiths or other tart apples with the cranberries...but I'll eat it! :)

I like the more traditional apple pie recipes, this one has that pie & cake combo, smells great on a cool NE Ohio day.