Easy Test for Corrosive Ammo

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Broomhandle
    (9/14/02 6:29:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Easy Test for Corrosive Ammo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With bullet puller remove bullet and powder from case. Insert empty case with primer in vise horizontally at top of jaws with mouth of case at one end of jaws. with case tightly snugged, place polished piece of steel up against case mouth. With long punch (I used metal scribe, slightly blunted) and hammer, strike primer detonating it. The polished steel will have much residue and carbon on it. set metal aside for 4-5 days to see if it rusts or not. Use safety glasses and be careful. I feel much better knowing a particular ammo is non-corrosive rather than cleaning a gun like it is.

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/14/02 10:48:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Easy Test for Corrosive Ammo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i prefer just to buy ammo marked "non corrosive"

Tac401
    Administrator
    (9/14/02 11:15:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Easy Test for Corrosive Ammo
    It isn't too hard to tell, and if unsure there's only 2-possible answers, either "YES" or "NO", and don't believe it if you
    get the O'l bulls** story "Oh, It's only Mildly Corrossive!"

There's no such thing that I've heard of, researched,
    investigated, bought or sold in the past 25-years of
    evedence that I can define that seperates to any degree
    that provides positive proof that there is a difference between "Corrossive & Mildly Corrossive" ammo.

In my opinion, either it is or it isn't!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

stanmail
    (9/14/02 11:59:14 pm)
    SOG sold me some .45 ACP surplus ammo that they told me was non-corrosive. Now they say "mildly corrosive". I figure they mildly lied to me first time.

ClydeBurrie
    (9/15/02 4:35:30 am)
    Would the action cleaners do a good enough job of blowing out the receivers or after using corrosive shells should the gun be broken down/stripped then cleaned?

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/15/02 11:30:54 am)
    I just pull the bullets and powder, then fire two samples, one non-corrosive and one of the "mystery" ammo into fine steel wool and wait a couple of days. It's obvious if the mystery ammo is corrosive.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/15/02 11:26:37 pm)
    I dunno, it's easier just to treat everything milsurp as corrosive, and clean after shooting...it doesn't take a strip, a couple of patches of windex down the bore and chamber, followed by an oiled patch seems a lot easier than setting a few primers off in my messy garage...

Knowing my luck I'd find out at the same time that my Albanian stuff WAS non-corrosive and fumes from the chainsaw gas can CAN reach that far....

Either that or I'd be at the emergency room trying to explain AGAIN how a steel rod became embedded in my forehead....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

ssurell
    (10/4/02 10:26:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 8x57 JS surplus
    Bought some of those old turkish 70 rnd bandolears made in the 40's that's labeled corrosive. Waited til the next day to clean my gun once and didn't have a problem. But then I found a deal on some 70's surplus (760rnds came in a wooden crate with 2 tins). Wasn't supposed to be corrosive so I didn't clean my gun and it was horrible. A few days later I'm cleaning the crust out of it with naval jelly. Doh! That was from FAC, have had 2for2 dissapointing deals with them.

procrastinator43
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/5/02 3:42:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 8x57 JS surplus
    Kind of leary about hitting primers with at hammer and punch. I know of a not to bright teenager (me many years ago) who put a shotgun shell in the forks of a tree and shot at it with a BB gun. Something whizzed past my, err his, ear after the second shot. Turned out to be the primer. A couple of inches to the right and he would have needed glasses much sooner.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

Broomhandle
    (10/5/02 7:47:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Corrosive Primers
    If the shotgun shell had been empty and in a vise, nothing would have happened.