Economy warning!

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by johnnyehlers, Jun 7, 2012.

1. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

Good point. I've been preaching to my friends till I'm blue in the face, and I get a lot of if SHTF I'm coming to your house. How far will friendship go when they have nothing to bring to the table and nothing to trade that I don't already have? Not a nice thing to think about but my family will come first, and I'm afraid my friends won't see it that way. They were warned!
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

my friends and I have had this conversation too. well, my clsoe friends anyway. that's like 4 guys, and maybee 1 guys wife and kid. so a very small group.. 6 people.

and yes.. the conversation is always : if the SHTF we are coming to your house.

I i WANT them to. I told them grab what they can and hit the road to my place.

lets face it guys.. are any of you gonna be up to the task of guarding your house 24/7

so.. you are superman and don't have to sleep? right?

I guess you don't have to do any repair work.. or resource management.. storage management.. fence or barricade erection? those gonna put themselves up?

so far lets see where we are at... you are guarding 24/7 and not sleeping.. and the fences don't get putup and none of the hard wok gets done. you can't go out for supplies without either vacating your home and perhaps having someone else take it over or loot it.. or you must go out and leave the fmailly defenseless.. going at it alone. and if alone.. how much can you carry.. what if an emergency happens.? I can tell you I don't want to be by myself when a disaster hits.

in a week you and your fmaily MIGHT be dead.. you, from lack of sleep.. them from lack of you.

having a SMALL managable handfull of people that you can trust with your life ( and wife :) ) will mean you can take guard duty on SHIFTS.. and hard work has 2-3 backs to go around on.

can have someone on resource management.. heck.. a couple people on supply scavenging.. etc..

besides.. once my friends hit my palce.. we will be laoding up all my stuff and hitting my step fathers place. natural terraine protection on 3 sides.. 4 th side is a guardable and controlable entrance. has a fresh water and food source ( lake ) and plenty of room. there, we could make a stand with a small group of trusted friends...

soundguy
  3. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

I guess I should have put that different. I too have close friends that I consider
    family, but living in a small rural community I know almost everyone here. Most are good people, some not so much. OK, so one scenario would be a town Militia, 1 grocery store, 1 Dollar General, 1 Feed Store, & 4 Gas/Convenience Stores. Lets say 10 families (I'm being generous) have prepared, population is a little over 1000, the biggest % being retired & elderly. I have my own opinion, but am interested in yours.
    Second scenario, family & friends go to predetermined place. Everyone has a few friends they would like to include, and those friends have friends, and everyone of them say, "But we've known each other for umpteen years. How and where do you determine to draw the line?

BTW, It's not a question of firepower in my area, but of food. Lots of hunting area here, but if everyone is hunting, especially the ones with no plan, running only on instincts, and lack of sleep, I can see it getting crazy even in the rural areas.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  4. soundguy

I didn't mean to sound like I was jumpin on ya... that came out a lil harsh.. my appologies.

And I hear ya about tag alongs.

Hopefully, myt group has it clear and worked out. only one of my 4 close friends is married.. the other are loan wolf, and family is either out of state or past.. we've pretty much aggrees on a mutual bug out if the stuff hits the rotary oscilator...

you know how plans go when the lights go out though.

all I can say is that all of us. ( all of us here at least talking and planning about it ).. will be better off than the people who never give it another thought.

good luck to us all.

soundguy
  5. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

No offence taken. I sure hope it never goes down, and we all get spared from having to make the really hard calls. And you'r right, any plan is better than no plan at all.
  6. soundguy

I'm not a paranoid freaky person.. but I do enjoy 'planning' in general.

At barnes and bnobles I found a funny survival guide by the people who did outdoor magazine.

overs urban to disaster to nukes.. water disaster.. storm.. etc. animal attacks.. improvised living hunting.. etc..e tc.

fun read. I put it in my B.O.B

soundguy
  7. cutter

cutter New Member

One thing I always not being talked about is medication. If you have someone that can get antibiotics , pain meds, medical kit, etc. please try and include them in your small group. We all talk about food, water, ammo and whatever but I don't see anyone bring up the medical part. Be sure to include it in your plans. just my 2 cents to add to the info.
  8. soundguy

2 of my 4 friends are inthe med field. one is an emt and has some other training.. HHC and CNA, the other is a radiologist. 3 of the 4 guys are ex military. 1 of th guys has had 1st responder / emergency management training ( kinda like civ police academy ). 4 of the 5 of us are very proficient with weapons.. the 5th is at least safe and can send lead downrange slowly with decent accuracy.. of the wife and kid of the one guy married.. we are teaching his 15yr old to shoot. she's a real tack drivwer with a 30-06 savage 110 bolt gun. I'm an engineer. 2 of us can operate heavy equipment. 3 of the guys have cdl and can drive large trucks. I restore farm tractors and am pretty good with a wrench on most gas and diesel engines without emissions and computers. ie.. points stuff and mechanical injection.. etc. 2 of us reload 3 of us own guns. the wife is a 'blade' person. goes to thos competitions where you throw at targets and such.. ( i'm not a knife guy.. too close for me.. :) )

I know we have a few skill set gaps.. but not too bad for a small group.

as long as we don't need nuclear physics, advanced chemistry or legal help we should be ok. obviously on medical we are limited to 'first aid', at least administed by a professional.. based on the materials on hand. IMHO.. in the end.. medical wil be everybodies need. any joe can learn to shoot, trap a rabit or squirrel or turn a wrench in the 'post' times.. but there will be a marked lack of medical training..
  9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I like how you think.Im glad im gonna get to meet you in a couple of weeks.
  10. cutter

cutter New Member

Looks like you have things pretty well covered. If any nukes involved we are all toast!! I like how your group thinks! Wouldn't want to meet your wife in the wrong place, thats cool!
  11. soundguy

she carries a gun too.. usually a small 33lr revolver NEA ..not my choice either.. but she likes it..

don't laugh.. but when we are out hitting gun shows or flea markets and such for fun.. we will see stuff.. and all look at each other and say.. wow.. that mght be usefull in the end days..e tc. :)

when sars hit. about a year later.. the local A/N supply store had surplus civi NBC kits with full face masks on sale for 4$ with canister, spare canister, carry bag, tyvek suit including booties, nitriel gloves.. tape to seal gloves to sleeves and coverall legs to booties.. and iodine sponge wipes to disinfect. all that for 4$ canisters with new dates good for over a decade.. for 4 $ we each got one.. looks like it would be good in a variety of disasters.. especially biologic... kit is a lil smaller than a average shoebox.. comes in a waterproofed canvas carry case desert color..
  12. 22to12gauge

22to12gauge Former Guest

Alot of good ideas in here.

Definitely stay away from gold, massively inflated (will crash one day whether the economy tanks or not) and doesn't have much intrinsic value..

Silver is a little better but still lacks good intrinsic value, will not be very useful.

Definitely stock up on things with intrinsic value, things that can be of use.

This may be redundant here but, Guns and LOTS of rounds.. lol
    tools
    land
    livestock and edible garden
    a well, rain catch, water purifier, something (can survive 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food)
    solar, wind, or other energy generators

and maybe the most important, knowledge, preferably books for when the internet goes down, or gather as much info as you can on the net now and either print or just study and retain it.

I have a bug out bag, that is about it... but it is LOADED for a bug-out-for-good situation.

My goal, after enlisting and serving for however long I decide, and if the SHTF hasn't happend yet, is to buy a small piece of land and start farming, my goal is to be completely self-reliant, still have to pay property taxes though (yuck) and fear of eminent domain (may be the only part of US Constitution I do not like, besides some silly amendments after the 10th).
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
  14. whirley

whirley New Member

How long will it be before the Feds can tax everything, now that the Supremes have decided it's Constitutional? All your personaL property INCLUDING ALL MEANS OF SELF DEFENSE? I'll wager after the failure of "Fast and Furious" to give them a basis for confiscatory gun laws, Washington is jumping with glee!
  15. 22to12gauge

22to12gauge Former Guest

There kinda already is. We don't own anything, don't pay taxes, see what happens. and on firearms: Sales, Brady Tax, Background Check, renew CCW permit, in CA renew handgun permit

Property tax, we are just tenants on the land.

[​IMG]