EDC; serrated, or not?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by corpis66, Apr 16, 2006.

1. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

that is the question...do you like your everyday carry knives with serrations or none?
    i see alot of places online that sell blades are usually out of stock of a certain style blade, but almost always have the half serrated. i was wondering why? i persoanlly have had to ever really need to use the serrations on my SOG Trident Tigerstripe, or or my CRKT M16 zytel.

i know 'different strokes for different folks' but do ya'll have a certain reason to have a half or no serrations at all on your EDC?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Here is what I carry Serrated on one blade, smooth on one blade. It's a Smith & Wesson. Sorry for the picture quality

Attached Files:

3. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

One of each, plus a Victorinox Tinker.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I prefer none.
    I'm used to a smooth blade.
    Have a few of each.
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

My old CQC from Benchmade is 1/2 and 1/2. In my line of work (industrial maintenance) I do find use for the serations from time to time. The CQC is a big honkin' "utlility" knife for me. Its used as prybar, screwdriver and knife all the time. The serations help when cutting belting, rope, etc.
  6. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

Yeah in my line of work i often have the need to cut a piece of line quick. The serrated works best for that for me. If the smooth has been used a bit lately and it doesnt have the best edge on it...it wont do sh*t on a half inch piece of line. The serrated never fails me...one or 2 quick stokes back and forth and its done. Then again maybe most people dont work in a position that requires the ability to cut line quickly :p But i do and thats why i carry the gerber gator grip half smooth half serrated. also a good camping utility knife.
  7. SUPERMAN_45

SUPERMAN_45 New Member

My Gerber Gator knife has serration but my CRKT M21 is plane edge knife. :)
  8. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

If you are speaking to the why, the market has decieded for you. If this knife is carried for last chance back-up or first line defense, this is how it works. First, 99% of people....including military are not trained on edged weapons. Heres what works, some are simply carried and then used as a cut all knife....meaning it is used more for cutting rope and boxes and as such gets used as such, defense is secondary.

The other side of this coin is, the knife is used "only" for defense.
    Blade edges to follow.

The 50-50 blade is the middle of the road so to speak.
    It fits in both categories.

Standard edge, harder for the untrained to use effectively because of skating.
    All serrated blades are excellent utility knives.

The 50-50 blade allows users the best of both worlds, plain edge for delicate work-serrated for tougher stuff. This also prevents the blade from skating when the serrated part gets a bite.

If you are not well trained in edge weapons, the combo fits the bill, for the trained it`s mostly the plain edge.

I carry two, a medium Cold Steel Stockman three blade and a medium Cold Steel folder, plain edge, tanto point.

Let the battle begin.....lol

LTS
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

LTS, I carry a plain edge, Paul Zinsmeister, folder, and have, for several years, as an EDC knife; in San Antonio, there are a couple of 'ordinances' prohibiting 'lock blade' knives, for all but a few citizens.
    The plain edge knife is a better cutter, if both blades are equally sharp, but a dull serrated edge wiil cut thru stuff (saw thru, actually), that a dull plain edge will not.
    Paul built for me a folder, of 440C, which will hold a shaving edge, thru 4 deer, and as such, I need no other; less well designed, and executed (Heat treat) knives may need other options; not that I will ever know, for sure!
    My only other 'serious' knife is a Gerber MkI, with no hallmark, or other garbage, anywhere on it, built for the US Army, in the late 60's, carrying a serial number on the blade; it was issued to me, in '69 or 70, and, never was turned in, when I left the service. It has a bit of 'blood etching', on the blade, a consequence of any 'work knife', but is of fixed blade, plain edge, construction: RC59 hardness preserves it's edge, quite well.
    As to training, I am a former 1st(Oki)/ 5th(RVN) SFG soldier, and spent some time at Bragg, explaining to others how this stuff works; most SF soldiers have a really good idea on how the knife should and does work, on tissue, as it was part of our 'basics', at Camp McCall!
    Silent weapons are a whole new world, to most, but, in the field of 'clandestine diplomacy', are daily fare! Google 'crossbow', if you are courious!
  10. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

.......well said.

LTS
  11. Mick

Mick New Member

Try cutting a rope under water with a plain edge then try it with a serrated blade....

Sharpening the serrated blade in the field is more difficult than a straight edge and this might be one reason in favor of the plain edge; I prefer the serrated edge for all cutting occassions especially for slicing tomatoes for my sandwich...

I can not stand -own 100 knives not one with a mixed blade- a 50/50 blade...another reason I do not like 50/50 blades because the stroke for using either edge always seems TOO FRIGG'N SHORT!
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Mick
    You are right about the stroke too short
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Try cutting a rope under water with a plain edge then try it with a serrated blade....

Mick, you set special circumstances, for which a prudent man would field special tools; for my input, if the rope is slack, unstressed,I would prefer a cable shear, a guillotine type cutter, with two cutting edges, but a taut rope would require less gear!
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I am not a sophisticated knife person by any means.

I carry a small "Uncle Henry" knife as a pocket knife and am lost without it. I have on my belt a Leatherman Wave, which is the handiest item to come down the pike, which has one of each, 3" size, that are immediately available.
  15. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

The serrated blade has a longer cutting surface than a straight blade. Sometime as much as five times longer = five times more damage per cut.

I carry different knives at different times.

At work I carry a smooth blade lock back by Browning. A Christmas present from my son and I remember him each time I use it. Mostly use it for opening boxes and skinning wire. It holds a great edge.

After work, I carry a small Gerber serrated blade. Never cut anything with it unless it's urgent and I keep it razor sharp.

I have a big folding kershaw I carry hunting with a 50/50 blade. Mostly to cut me out of my tree stand harness if I fall out-a my stand and am dangling by the rope...I have a few fixed blade knives I use for field dressing. A small and very old Buck and a larger newer Kershaw. Both hold a sharp edge for two or three deer.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  16. Ursus

Ursus New Member

This, again, depends on the intended use. If you want it for opening cardboxes, plain is fine. If you go rock climbing, you may need to cut rope pretty fast; that longer cutting surface the serrated have, is going to be really usefull. As I do both things, I carry a combination edge.
  17. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Stash - the MKI I have is wasp wasited, but the narrow part is serrated on both sides, its about a 1980-1981 vintage if I recall. The older units were smooth, but still had the blade narrowing back towards the hilt, supposed to make "removal" easier, if I recall. (5SF, Cent America AO)