Eddystone questions...hurry!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

ThePitbullofLove
    (7/5/02 12:02:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Eddystone questions...hurry!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Went to 3 pawnshops on a "cruffler crawl" today-
    Final pawn shop had the prize. An Eddystone with a 6-18 marked barrel and the ordinance bomb. It was clean, no cosmolene to be found, the stock was not dark & oil soaked and the bore was mirror bright. Some cartouches on the stock, metal not pitted or surface rusted, about 80% blue turning to a gray patina. Now some questions:
    1. As it has the ordinance bomb, it is a P-17 right? How does one tell the difference from a P-14?
    2. Is $395 asking price pretty good for the condition described? I've seen 'em go for more on gunbroker and AA.
    3. Should I hustle my butt back there in the AM and make an offer?
    Thanks in advance-

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 12:16:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Eddystone questions...hurry!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I remember correctly, the P-14 is in 303 British whereas the P-17 is 30-06. I am not certain about the ordnance bomb. At one time in the past I had both types of rifles, but sold both of them years ago and really don't remember them that well.

From the way prices are going now, $395 seems to be a good price for the condition you describe. The P-17 I had was in very similar condition, and I sold it for $350 about five years ago. I would try a little bartering with them - see if they will take $350. A lot of times with pawn shops, if you wave the cash under their noses they will bite at it.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/5/02 1:31:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Eddystone questions...hurry!
    Sounds like a 17 to me but you will need to check
    for sure and also check the barrel near the muzzle
    and look for an "E" stamped into it, some of these
    were re-arsenals and although they are all authentic,
    when they re-arsenaled these rifles, some parts were
    replaced with other manufacturers parts and stamped
    as such on the barrels, bolts and such, which at the
    condition you described $395.00 is a decent price for
    this rifle in my opinion if indeed it is a re-arsenal.

Check the rifle in the areas I described above, if it has
    complete Eddystone "E" parts then depending on actual
    condition it can be worth a bit more than the price you
    are paying for it, pictures would help if possible.

TFF VMBB Email Tac

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 3:46:07 pm)
    The ordnance mark (a ball with flames coming out the top) indicates that it's a P-17 and .30-06 caliber.

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/5/02 9:37:18 pm)
    P14 is .303 caliber (pattern of 1914). There is no such thing as a P17. The correct name is US Rifle model of 1917. It looks much the same as the earlier P14. The M1917 will have the flaming bomb just aft of the front sight on top of the barrel, and the receiver should be marked,"Eddystone" US Rifle Model of 1917, caliber will be 7.62 x 63mm (.30 Springfield).

So, generally, the main difference other than markings is one is .303, and the other 30-06.

As for the price, WWI non rearsenaled M1917's will usually be blued and showing wear. With 6/18 date which is post war, explains the nice bore. Many were rearsenaled prior and during WWII for a number of reasons, and I think all of those were parkerized. A nice post WWI blued, in non rearsenaled condition is well worth approx $400.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/6/02 7:33:00 pm)
    Canfield has some good stuff on the M1917...

You can tell it it's rearsenaled by the barrel...all original M1917s had a LEFT hand twist 5 groove barrel, while those rebarreled for WWII service from 1942 until 1944 used barrels made either by High Standard that had a 4 groove RIGHT hand twist, or Johnson Automatics which had a two groove RIGHT hand twist, and both should be stamped with either the HS or Johnson markings. If the barrel does NOT have either Eddystone, High Standard or Johnson markings, it is an aftermarket barrel. NO new barrels were made for the M1917 after 1919 until 1942, when they were pulled out of storage because of the shortage of 03s, and M1s.

He also says there are reports of Eddystones that had cracked recievers after rebarrelling, so if it does not have an original Eddystone barrel have it checked before firing.

In WWII, the M1917 was used Phillipine troops, shipped to England during lend-lease (but usually had a red band painted on so they could tell it from the P14s), shipped to other allies such as China, and used as a training rifle in the states. Outside of a VERY few issued to early US troops overseas, and some field artillery units in Africa, none saw front-line US service in WWII.

Canfield also says alot of the Chinese M1917s were reimported into the states when it was legal a few years ago, but most were in poor shape.

Interestingly, Canfield says that after WWI, there were more M1917s in inventory than Springfields, and it was almost standardized instead of the 03. The only reason the 03 was kept standard was because it was a better "match" rifle, but many WWI soldiers and "experts" at the time thought the M1917 was a better battle rifle than the 03 Springfield.
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

ThePitbullofLove
    (7/8/02 11:03:11 pm)

I bought it. Got it for $300. Best part is the 8 notches carved in the right wrist of the stock...like a Doughboy was marking his Fritz kills.
    All Eddystone parts except a remington ejector & cocking lug. Well cartouched stock & well stamped receiver & barrel.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/9/02 6:35:01 am)
    Looks like a good one. Congrats on the acquisition - looks like they came off the price some too!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

ThePitbullofLove
    (7/11/02 12:43:20 am)
    Btw, it is an eddystone barrel.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/11/02 12:20:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Eddystone questions...hurry!
    Looks like you doubled your money on this one or better!

I have one in pristine condition too, my wood is about
    the same color as yours too.

Thumbs Up!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

The LawII
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/20/02 3:36:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Eddy...
    I'd say the same thing!... you will double your money on it easily...if your patient...mine is barrel date 4-18 all matching but does not look to be in near the shape as yours but both of them will hit 8 1/2x11 target at 300 yds. using iron sights easily. Grouping?....for me thats it getting all 5 rounds on the target It's father the Springfield 1903 is at its feet...

ThePitbullofLove
    (7/20/02 4:59:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Eddy...
    Nice.
    Never really wanted an M1917 until I happened across this one in a pawnshop. Glad I got to pick it up.

The LawII
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/20/02 5:27:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Good Deal...
    ...Have you shot it yet...Once you shoot it, you'll see that this whole line of rifles is worth having...I'm currently stalking the 03-A3!...

ThePitbullofLove
    (7/20/02 11:58:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Good Deal...
    you like 1903A3's?

This one was purchased last December for the princely sum of $50.00. Yep, $50.00. You think I got a deal?

Edited by: ThePitbullofLove at: 7/21/02 2:48:39 am

The LawII
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/02 6:48:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del $50.00!...Excellent!!
    ...That sure would look good in my little collection...Would you maybe take $51.00 for it...Just kidding ! ...sounds like you are in an area where there are good deals to be had...if you ever find another and your not interested in it let me know...