Effective Range of .22 Magnum Rimfire?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Blackout, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Blackout

Blackout New Member

I have a Ruger bolt-action rifle chambered in .22 magnum rimfire. What is the effective range of the .22 magnum rimfire? I am trying to shoot muskrats at 150 yards.

Thanks.
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    you will probably have about an eight drop but a well placed shot should do it.150 yards is about the max for me.i hope your shooting them for the pelts. old semperfi
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

In my opinion, 150 yrds is a bit of stretch for anything that shoots less than 2,000 fps muzzle velocity, especially when trying to make humain kills on such a small animal. That is my 2 cents.

Ron
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  4. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I do it all day long on coyote.

I have a KZ that runs from 100-150 yards from where I set up at, the 'yotes come trotting thru, and get zapped.
    I set my scope for 125, knowing that the drop is less when you are already set for long range.

If you have a good scope, headshots are precise hits that either give you a quick kill or a complete miss.
    But heart-lung shots work quite well also.

They usually never know what hit 'em. Never had one leave the KZ after being hit.

BTW, the 30-, 33-, & 34-grain offerings are WELL in excess of 2,000fps, with some travelling over 2300fps.

But I used 50-grain Game Shok ammo on 'yotes, which travels around 1650fps...does the job just fine.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I've never shot a muskrat (not legal here) but I trapped plenty of them in my youth. Muskrats are not big animals. If you can hit them at 150 yards I'm sure your .22 magnum will do the job.
  6. millman

millman New Member

+1
  7. William Harper

William Harper New Member

Dear Blackout: I have watched the .22 WMR in action since 1959, but only researched it personally 2005-2010. Its accuracy at 300 meters averages no better than the Aguila Interceptor .22LR ca. 7" in most of my rifles, but in one, a CZ Ultra Lux, it will group in 3.3" at 300 meters in quiet air. I actually killed a gray squirrel in 2008 at 309 paces with that rifle and load in a pre-ranged squirrel bottom, a fairly sure shot in quiet air for a man with 58 years shooting experience at that time and the longest I ever made on any game animal. I could not have done it with my .22 WMR, because of the issue of accuracy. My .22 WMR shoots into 1" at 100 yards with Federal 50 gr. HP and into 2.5" at 200 meters, 1.12" with Remington Premier 33 gr spitzer V-max at 100 yards 3" at 200 meters, 7" at 300 meters. The Winchester 34 gr HP Supreme at 2120 fps shoots about the same. All three loads smash completely on steel plates from the muzzle to 400 meters. But I don't see the accuracy to deal mortal wounds with certainty past 200 meters with this cartridge or any of the loads (all) that I have shot from my rifle at a worthwhile critter like a coyote from the side. Accuracy might be paramount in my mind but energy or wounding power is about neck and neck with it. For targets, I have shot to 400 meters on 200 yard 16" black powder 200 yard bulls and on 100 yard bulls to 300 meters and 200 meters, but I like certainty when shooting at a living critter and see it no further than 200 meters with the .22 WMR. It does not shoot so well at that distance as the 40 gr. Aguila Interceptor does from my CZ Ultra Lux at 300 meters. Nevertheless, the closer you get under 200 meters, the more energetic and practically accurate the .22 WMR becomes. Not long ago, I practiced at 50 yards with CCI FMJ 40 gr. .22 WMR to shoot feral hogs in their ear canals during the small game season as required by law. Shooting offhand with the support of a tree-trunk on my right I consistently achieved the needed group, dime-sized dead center. On the other hand, confronted with a real feral hog, I saw his head never stopped moving as he rooted energetically and too many weeds, vines, and shrubs (the work of Roger the Shrubber?) got in the way of William the Pigger. What about shooting a small one though the lungs with, say, a Winchester 40 gr HP at that range, or with a Fiocchi 40 gr SP? That ought to do the trick. And I have no problems with small game to 100 yards. This makes my straight shooting Savage Stevens Favorite Model 30GM Calamity Janethe express rifle of Stevens Favorite, accuracy and energy being the limiting factors.
  8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot to mention, mine's a Marlin 25MN in .22WMR...this rifle makes CZ .17HMR owners nervous at the Local Shoots :D

Marlin definitely made these right...it's the rifle that started my Marlin collection...after shooting a rimfire capable of
    sub-moa at 100 yards...it becomes a bit of an addiction.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I miss my chuckster:(