Effective range of An SKS

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by SpartanWarriorXIII, Jul 28, 2008.

1. SpartanWarriorXIII

SpartanWarriorXIII New Member

I read the effective range if not the maximum range of an SKS firing a 7.62 x 39mm round is 430 yds. Can anybody confirm that particularly if you have shot an SKS at that range and actually hit something. I know a Lee-Enfield has a maximum range of 2000 yds and effective range of 550. That I can believe firing a more powerful round but I'm just trying to confirm the SKS effective range. Thoughts or comments???
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My guess is that an SKS is probably as accurate as an AK and general usage of those results in accuracy of about 3 to 4 MOA. That means the bullets will fall within a

3 to 4 inch circle at 100 yds,
    6 to 8 inches circle at 200 yds,
    12 to 16 inches circle at 400 yds
    18 to 24 inches circle at 600 yds

If your target is larger than those numbers the gun might still be efective.

My son-in-law and I shoot at steel target at our local range out to 600 yds with all our mil-surplus rifles. The 600 yd target is a NRA silhouette Ram. The bolt guns (Mausers, Mosin Nagants, Swiss K-31's) and semi-auto guns (M1 Garands, MIA, Hakim, FAL, AR15) can hit the 600 Ram pretty regularly and our SKS (Yugo versions) not so regularly but does fine at 300 to 400 yds. But sights and or scopes make a big difference as does the ability of the shooter and the quality of the ammo.

This is just our experience and yours may differ.

LDBennett
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I believe LDBennett to be correct, from the couple I tried (factory sights) I wouldn't trust a decent hit beyond maybe +/- 350yds.
  4. "Effective range" is a rather elusive term in many ways. Effective against what kind of target? In terms of human targets, I would consider 350 yards to be pretty much maximum with an SKS, and even that may be stretching a bit, especially with battle sights. The 7.62 x 39 was never designed as a long range round, but rather as a cartridge for use in warfare within normal combat ranges. Good ammunition fired from a high quality barrel, the round would probably stretch out to 500 yards or so, but I wouldn't want to rely on its effectiveness at that range.
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

"Dinner plate's' Pistol. :)

Effective range rule of thumb to some, and me, is any range you can keep your shots on a dinner plate.

This rule of thumb can also incorporate time, for example '6 rapid handgun shots at 20 yards within 10 seconds should be kept within the area of a typical dinner plate'. :)
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

just choose the biggest gun you have and sneak as close as possible:D
  7. SpartanWarriorXIII

Thanks for your replys guys... yeah I have an M59/66 and oddly enough the iron sights are marked from 100 to 1000m in 100m intervals. To me thats ridiculous because I would never expect to hit a human target (excellent point Pistol) over 300 yds and 1000m is roughly equivilent to 1100 yards. Now lets get real thats never gonna happen. Most combat kills occur within 100 yds. so why do they have the sights marked to 1000m? But anyways I was just confirming the "effective" range of an SKS
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Beaten Zone. :)

If loads of guys set their sights for the same range and lay down fire, though not precise they will all fall within a given area, suppressing the enemy. Same thing with a heavy MG at longer ranges. It's a WW2 and post war thing, I have no idea if they still teach such things?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  9. SpartanWarriorXIII

Actually yes they do lol I know what you're talking about but if the round doesn't reach that far then why place that on the sights. It's kinda pointless to have a range for a beaten zone where you can't place a beaten zone at that range???
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

spartan, it will actually reach that far, its just not gonna do it with any kinda precision and power... its actually intended for volleying bullets toward the enemy to keep them covered while your side advances columns of men toward an effective killing position.
  11. SpartanWarriorXIII

Oh I got it so its just a fire and manuever tool. A sort of suppressing fire instrument lol. Wow so an SKS round can reach 1100yds??? Lmao never thought that could happen thx for the info guys
  12. RetiredGunny

RetiredGunny New Member

The maximum effective range of a weapon is not a limitation of the weapon but a limitation of the shooter using iron sights and his ability to distinguish the target at that range. Some shooters have excellent eyesight and thus can distinguish a target at greater range. The maximum effective of that rifle would be farther because of the shooter. Since this a military rifle the maximum effective range for all military rifles are the same 460 meters or 500 yards. Don't confuse maximum range; how far the bullet will travel once fired, with the maximum effective range they are different entities.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I wish I had said that.

Come to think about it I probably will. :)
  14. SpartanWarriorXIII

I understand lol so what do you guys think the maximum range would be if the effective range is about 450 yds???
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

a .45 degree angle will propel a bullet as far as the cartridge is capable of, any less and it will fall short, any more and it will fall short. it works the same as long range artillery. if you do some military research you will find the artillery is fired with a complex mathematical system in place. since the operators on the artillery cant see thier intended targets, they rely on someone to call in coordinates so they can calculate the projectiles trajectory and fire the artillery at the proper angle to reach the coordinates entered. think of bullets fired from a rifle as mini artillery shells following thier trajectory toward the target, and the sights are a way of calculating the angle needed to get the projectile to its target. set the sight for its maximum setting and line the sights up, then note the angle you are holding the rifle at. that is the angle needed to get the projectile to its target... its really quite simple once you understand all the mathematics envolved.