effective range

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by One Shot, Jan 28, 2012.

1. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

I have picked up a couple of .22 pistols (Mark II Gov. Target and a Charger) and would like to get better with them. My question is what range should I be able to shoot and be consistent?

I've heard about the 100 to 150 yard shooters but I'm not looking for a 22 to be a long range gun. NRA lists some info on their program:

Courses of Fire
    NRA conventional pistol competition consists of firing slow, timed, and rapid fire. This is done at 50 and 25 yards outdoors and almost exclusively at 50 feet indoors.

I could see being decent at 50 feet but what would you recommend for practice and what should I sight in at?

Thanks, os
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I've always practiced at 25 yards. I've found that if I can keep em in the X ring at 25 yards I do well at any distance. Just takes lots and lots of practice.
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Also, I have the Markll target and you will love it. They are a wonderful gun.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

50 feet and 25 yards are sort of standard for our off hand shooting. If I try to go further than that I need something to prop it on :D and some optical sights or I am just wasting ammo.
  5. Orin

Orin Member

With pistols its wise to start at near ranges to Rough-it in & then refine as far as you want by moving out & adjusting as needed. 20 yds is good for first sight-in. A good bag-rest is good but make sure you grip the gun the same cuz shooting off a bag is different from normal freehand. Figure that a pistol is probably good for within fifty yds & after that yer in "might hit it" zone unless yer shooting footballs. Also, use a good high speed ammo cuz if you sight in with slo-mo stuff you'll likely have to redo it all. CCI rules!