Egyptian Maadi & U.S. Parts?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Buford Allen, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

Just wondering if anyone here knows what U.S. made parts are put into an Egyptian Maadi Misr S/A AKM by Century Arms? To my knowledge it is a post-ban as it came with a thumbhole stock, welded muzzle cap, and ground off bayonet lug. The FCG and the piston are not marked as being U.S. made. I am going to install an ATI Fibreforce stock and was just curious if there are enough other U.S. parts present to make it 922r compliant. I have had no relevant reply from some of the AK dedicated boards. I have always had good luck finding information here. Should have came here first.

Thank you, Buford
  2. cakes

cakes New Member

None of the parts on your rifle are US made(unless marked as such). If you want to convert your rifle from a 'sporting' configuration you will have to replace all but 10 of the parts from the 922 list.
  3. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

Wouldn't the ATI Fiberforce stock still be considered a sporting configuration since it is a thumbhole type stock?
  4. cakes

cakes New Member

If it is, then you don't need to worry about 922r.

And I think it is.
  5. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

So, basically if an AKM retains the "sporting" rifle config. it is not required to be 922 compliant; And if it is changed from "sporting" to "non-sporting" (pistol grip instead of thumbhole) it is required to be compliant? I have considered changing the FCG just to be sure. I like the Tapco G2 single hook and maybe some Tapco mags. If the Tapco AK mags work as well as the SKS mags they would be a good addition.
  6. cakes

cakes New Member

Personally, I would not buy any AK variant that has a 'sporting' configuration. I would buy one that is in the 'military' configuration. There are too many rifles out there to bother with reconfiguring one and worrying about 922r. That is my personal opinion. But, if you are going to change anything on your AKM it is a good idea to make it 922 compliant like you stated just to be on the safe side.
  7. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

I've got a PSL/FPK kit on the way, I think it's way better in "sporting" configuration.