1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

EIBAR Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bikerd, Jun 25, 2011.

1. bikerd

bikerd New Member

I have an Eibar revolver dated as a 1927 firearm. It is A 32 cal. revolver.....6shot. It is in fair condition with good original grips of some type of wood It has several markings on it on the main body, cylinder and butt of the stock. I can send pictures if it would help. Just would like to know the approximate value of the gun. The markings are a shield with an X in it which is the Eibar proofmark and standing lions and made in Spain on the body also. On the stock butt it is marked Eibar......1927......cal.32-20....A.G.H.......and the numbers 5258. on the barrel it is marked Cal.32-20 CTG. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

bikerd,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Spanish made guns (especially revolvers) were/are, in general, copies of some other manufacturer's design, particularly S&W. Values, again in general, are not very high for the run-of-the-mill pieces, although there are some that are "collectible" because of some attribute.
    Detailed close-ups of the markings as well as a full size pic of each side would certainly help in the ID and valuation.
  3. bikerd

bikerd New Member

i am going to try and send pics

Attached Files:

4. bikerd

bikerd New Member

hopefully these will help
  5. bikerd

bikerd New Member

there are lion markings and the shield also on the body of the gun
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

That one has kind of a "Colt" look about the frame (except for the lack of a cylinder release lever behind the recoil shield.) I'm guessing that by pulling on the extractor rod, the cylinder is released? or is that a release button on the crane? Does everything work?
    It certainly seems to have some character. It's more than likely a product of the pre-Spanish Civil war era - probably 1925-1935.
    As to value, I'd guess no more than $200 -to a dedicated collector of that type of handgun - probably more in the $150 - $175 range. Let's see what other folks think.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I have one of those. They are pretty crude firearms, and are not safe to shoot-even in good condition.
    I cut the firing pin off mine, and leave it laying out as a decoy.
  8. bikerd

bikerd New Member

I have no intentions of shooting it,but everything works.
  9. bikerd

bikerd New Member

oh yeah.....Jim that is the release button for the cylinder on the crane.
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Looks like Dan Wesson stole that design. LOL!
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

While some of those guns were of reasonable quality, most were very poorly made of cast iron and are not safe with even standard loads. The .32's were marginally better only because the cylinder usually has thicker walls since the cartridge is smaller.

I have seen a couple that had blown up, one when a commercial blank was fired.

Value is minimal. Most gun shops won't even take them on trade because the paper work cost exceeds any profit and the liability risks if they sold the gun are just too hign.

Jim
  12. bikerd

bikerd New Member

I am a machinist and know metals well and this is not cast.....just an interesting conversation piece for me....it does have S&W look to it though
  13. bikerd

bikerd New Member

I see you are in PA....I am from upstate NY myself
  14. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Who?
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Run a Rockwell test on it and cut a small sample out of the inside of the grip for analysis, and let us know what kind of high quality alloy steel it is.

Jim