El Tigre Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 3, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

44WCF
    (1/21/03 10:57:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All EL TIGRE - What's it worth
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few years ago I bought an EL TIGRE rifle, model 1892 22" round barrel, 44WCF (my personal favorite caliber).

Although it is in excellent condition I feel I may have payed to much for it.

The only information I can find is it was made about 1920 (although I can't find any serial nunber range) in Spain, it has no proof marks (so I'm guessing it wasn't made for export but for Spanish police use) and that it is an almost exact copy of the Winchester Model 1892.

Serial number is, letter A (over top of sn) 26XXX.

Should I sell the or hold onto it. From what I see it has no collector value. But it is a neat little rifle.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/21/03 11:12:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: EL TIGRE - What's it worth
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The El Tigre was of course a Spanish product designed for sales primarily to Latin America. Do not be so quick to judge this rifle - it is one of the better 1892 copies. Also, serious Winchester lever collectors really MUST have a 'Tiger' carbine to round out their '92 collection! I've seen top condition specimens in the $400 range.
  2. mgie

mgie New Member

I also have acquired an El Tigre - Oliver Winchester traveled to Spain to license production of the Winchester 1892 model from 1920 to 1930 and used by police, navy and lastly sold to public for hunting.

I have seen them running from $695.00 to $1,750.00 for El Tigres in pretty good condition. I have seen the exact same rifle - Winchester 1892 - going for $2,595.00 last week in Austin, Texas.

I bought my rifle to keep and use on occassion. It shoots very nice and is very accurate.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I would be interested in learning more about any license for Spanish manufacture of the Model 1892. It certainly did not involve Oliver Winchester, since he died in 1880, long before the Model 1892 was invented (by John Browning). As far as I know, "El Tigre" ("The Tiger") was an unlicensed copy of the Winchester 92, made y Garate, Anitua & Cia.

They are not bad rifles, but nowhere near the quality of the original Winchesters. I have seen some outrageous prices ($1800+) on auction sites. IMHO, no El Tigre ever made is worth that kind of money, but if I had one and could get that, I would take it.

Jim