1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Elborate on 3 gun competition

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by BulletArc47, Nov 21, 2012.

1. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

I'm interested in 3 gun, could any individuals experienced in such games explain what is involved, how much does it cost to start, how competitive is it, excreta?

Thanks ! :)
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

It is just what it sounds like. You shoot matches using all three guns. A handgun, rifle, and shotgun. Sometimes only one gun on a stage, sometimes all three, or any combination.

There are different classes, depending on what you shoot with. Anything from your regular carry gun to full blown race guns. Cost is directly correlated to the type of firearm you want to shoot with.

You will be scored with others who are shooting in the same class you are. So the competitive aspect is at all levels, beginner to expert.

Have you ever shot any kind of competition?
  3. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

No, I got curious about 3 gun when I read article about the perfect 3 gun setup in American Rifleman. (Or was it Guns?) Then I stumbled across a couple of videos on You-tube, and it seemed real fun.

Why, should I try some other shooting sport first?
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

See if you have a IDPA or a USPSA chapter in your area.
    You can read up about them here.....
    http://www.idpa.com/
    http://www.uspsa.org/

If you have a match close, even if you don't want to shoot it.....yet, go and watch and talk to some of the shooters. For the most part, everyone associated with the sport will be more than happy to talk to you about it.

Before you spend the $$$ on 3 guns, you might want to try shooting competition with one gun to see if you like competition shooting. Along the way you can get an idea of what kind of guns you might want to get for 3-gun. Make sure you talk to a few different people, everyone has their favorite firearms, and what is good for them, might not fit you.