Elder Abuse False Allegations,What Gives?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ninjatoth, Aug 20, 2009.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

My wife is a CNA and on the way to recieving her RN pretty soon,and she is is/was employed at an assisted living home.Well,one of the residents had fallen multiple times in past weeks,and after going to the emergency room then to the doctor,she was found to have a broken sternum.The next day this elderly woman accused my wife of hurting her,she says my wife stood over her and punched her,which is all a lie,or a demented hallusination,one way or the other,it isn't true.Now my wife is asked to bring in a statement and her CNA certificate to work,where her boss promplty fired her.And all because of a resident lied,or had a dream or something,and this is the same resident who accused another staff member of trying to kill her.My wife is heartbroken that she has to leave all her beloved residents behind that she has taken care of for 2 years,and it is hard to not be angry with the situation,and on top of the job loss,my wife has to talk to the police soon,it is just a bad situation,and and support from you may cheer her up.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

OMG, that's awful. I don't even know what to say, someone being accused like that with no competent witnesses. That's a real shame, tell her my thoughts are with her.
  3. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Dementia in the elderly is always sad. I feel for your wife's situation.
    My father is getting pretty senile these days, he told me a couple months ago how the local deputies had shown up one night looking for something he didn't understand, only to realize they were at the wrong house. He even described how one of the cruisers had driven around the side of the house.
    I was trying to figure out why the dog hadn't gone off on them, and walked around outside to see if the lawn was damaged. No tire tracks at all, but the dirt there is soft enough to stomp a hole in with my foot.
    That's when I realized the deputies had never been there at all.
    He's also had an imaginary person show up and do mischief for years, he calls it "the vandal." Any time something happened he didn't understand he blamed it on this nonexistent person. When a dry-rotted tire went flat, it was "the vandal," who he said had let the air out of the tire. When the floodlight got left on he blamed "the vandal" who had supposedly run into the house while he was outside, turned the light on, and left. These things happen pretty often. Thankfully he has finally stopped blaming this imaginary being, since he's gotten the big German Shepherd. He credits Mike with keping "the vandal" away.

Ninjatoth, I'm glad you don't seem excessively angry toward the woman, if she's experiencing dementia it's not her fault. Senility is a serious mental condition. I wish it hadn't cost your wife her job, for that I'd have to question her ex-employer's policies. I know they have to closely monitor patients for elder abuse, itr's a bad situation all around.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    No witness! No defense! Sounds like a law suit to me!
  5. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

6. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Even crazy people are liable for their tortious misconduct. And this one is called "intentional interference with economic relations" as well as "slander per se". Get a lawyer and sue the patient.
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

Sounds like a plan to me. :mad:

Art
  8. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

This is one of the reasons for CCTV systems in assisted living centers.
    Look at all the videos that end up on the news, If that facility doesn't have 'em, they are wide open for lawsuits.
  9. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

My grandfather sufffered from dimentia before he died as well. Often he would come in the middle of th enight and tell us he owes "Johnny" 20 dollars. Although he did nto owe any money to anyone, we figured it may have been someone from when he was in the navy. Dimentia plays ugly tricks on people and to them everything is real.

Strange though that they have a patient that has that sickness and the administrative staff at the home would take the word of the patient over the nurse without even considering that the nurse did nothing to the patient.

It all appears that they are covering their collective asses by terminating your wife. Which I think is wrong. The nursing home should have the balls to stand by their employees when they KNOW the nurse is innocent.
  10. lb969

lb969 New Member

Your wife should have demanded a mental evaluation of the patient prior to termination to determine if the patient was credible. I understand the concern of elder abuse, but elderly patients are often not in their right minds when they accuse people of doing things.
  11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I feel for you in this situation. Life can deal some cruel blows and sometimes it is hard to understand. I had a co-worker friend who was accused of sexually assaulting a girlfriend's child. He copped a plea and did 30 months rather than risk a life sentence. He said he didn't do it and I believed (still do) him. Nowadays you wouldn't get a 30 month plea, the best you would get is 10 years.:(
  12. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

Believe when I say I can empathize with you. Both of my parents were in homes that gave great care to them and my mom accused everyone of stealing things from her and of course it wasn't true. I would hire a lawyer, if you can; the pressure these nursing homes are under from the state/feds are extreme, but they also owe their workers a fair hearing as well; that's their job too. Not really investigating what happened is not right and under your state's "fair labor laws" there must be some "rights" spelled out for the laborer.
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

I have to agree!

Normally I would be sensitive to this poor elderly lady's mental and physical condition, additionally I hate this sue happy generation, but we are talking about your wife's reputation and career which she has busted her butt to achieve. If you take this lying down I can only imagine that this 'black mark' will follow her through out the rest of her nursing career...

I know lawyers are expensive and many times just damn near impossible to afford, but in this case I don't see how I could afford NOT to hire one... I know User could give you much better advice than I, but I can only hope that if you were open and honest with a lawyer about any financial hurdles that you may have in front of you, that he/she would allow you to make payments or wait until a settlement is reached before taking any money...Or at least refer you to someone nearby who would be likely to work with you in this manner.

And don't forget the Assisted Living house... I would think that they are as much at fault as anyone!

Please keep us posted, you and your wife are in my thoughts.

Crpdeth
  14. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

First off I don't want Ninjatoth to feel like this is an attack of any sort on his wife or himself.

I find it kind of disturbing that everyone here has piled on the elderly patient. I worked in a nursing hone for a couple of years and these poor people do get abused. Many were abused by their families prior to being sent to the homes. There comes a time in life that a lot of elderly people revert back to an almost child like state and are vulnerable just like a child.

I don't think if the accuser in question was a child that everyone here would be showing the same type of empathy towards that child that has been shown towards this elderly person. No one here knows the facts about what happened. I am sincerely hoping that Mrs Ninjatoth was involved in nothing more than an unfortunate mix up and that the situation will soon be resolved.

I fully understand the institutions reaction to the event. Nursing homes are constantly fighting off allegations of abuse towards its residents. To do nothing would have left them open to a tremendously expensive law suit. From a business stand point it was probably more cost effective to dismiss Mrs Ninjatoth. It doesn't make the reaction right but in the administrators eyes it was necessary.

Ninjatoth I hope that this incident is resolved quickly and that no harm comes to your wifes reputation and integrity as a healthcare provider. I only replied to this because it seemed to me that everyone was dumping on elderly nursing home residents. This kinda falls in line with the so called "death panels" that Obama's healthcare program was accused of setting up for end of life care during our golden years.
  15. SARG

SARG Member

I've been through a similar situation when my Dad was in a home. He fell and injured his face. Terrible bruising that would make you think someone had "worked him over".

The home put the blame on one of the staff for leaving him unattended and told me they planned to dismiss the young girl.

After looking the realities over for a day ... I stepped in and told the administration of the facility that I specifically requested that this same girl be assigned as my Dad's caregiver whenever feasible and if she was dismissed my Dad would be taken elsewhere.

As said by others .... these facilities just "react" to situations in the easiest direction.