Electrical Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by meatguy, Feb 28, 2009.

1. meatguy

meatguy New Member

I have a wiremold brand power pole at my wife's bakery operating 1 pie case (115v), and the cash register. The bottom receptical is bad . How do I get to the receptical . It has no access panel at all. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    scott
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

The pole itself comes apart.
    Check the cross-sectional views on this PDF file to find yours, and you will see how to take the pole itself apart:

http://www.wiremold.com/shared_content/pdf/ed420.pdf

Be DARNED careful, though; you can have multiple feed lines into these things, and shutting ONE outlet off may not kill the OTHER one - - -

You can find ANYTHING at tff, huh?
  3. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Very good advise Terry.

One plug doesn’t mean that the top and bottom are on the same circuit. Make sure to test it (top and bottom) with something before tearing it apart.
  4. The one thing you don't want to do, MG, is ask 358 Winchester for advice on how not to get shocked when working with electrical wires. :::::ducking into bunker, closing lid:::::: :D;):p
  5. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

LMAO!!!!!:D:D:D:D
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I was thinking that the rectangular ducts seem to be easy to take apart but I've never seen the round ones. I don't know which one you have. :confused:
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

That is without a doubt one of the truest statements ever posted on TFF.
    I can explain to you how to get a little tingle or how to have the hair in the arm pits stand on end for a week, just don't ask how NOT to get shocked :eek:
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

The best advise I can give concerning electrical problems is DON'T PEE INTO THE ELECTRIC RECEPTICLE:eek::eek::confused:
  9. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never seen the round ones either, so can't help on that one.
    But you are right, the others are just a matter of squeezing it in the right places, and popping the entire back off of the whole thing from floor to ceiling.

Don't sweat it, 358 -
    I was a Journeyman Electrician, Heavy Industrial with Electronics qualification for ten years, and I have been zapped more than once. The WORST mistake an electrician can make is believing someone else when they SWEAR to you that the circuit is dead -
    Turn it of YOURSELF, LOCK IT OUT, and then TEST it before touching anything.
    Of course in industry, some things HAD to be worked on while hot -
    But those are not pleasant memories -
  10. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I remember climbing up a sign crane ladder about 30 feet & carefully dropping down inside a cube thing made of wood & angle iron that had chinese charcters in neon on the outside that was the sign for a chinese restaurant. The "floor" wood was rotten & so I carefully stepped on the iron frame. Instead of using proper insulated wire, those who made that "sign" had used bare "tie" wire criss-crossed inside the cube to connect the neon together & to the 15,000 volt transformers that ran the neon. I was standing carefully trying not to damage the thin wires & I began to troubleshoot the problems in there when all of a sudden the cube started spinning & all those bare wires were shocking the snot out of me. I could hear neon breaking as the outside of the cube banged on the sign crane as it spun. I was screaming for someone to shut off the power as I banged around inside the cube. Then somehow some of the bird's nest junk caught fire from a wire arcing. I was stomping that out when one of my feet went thru the floor, all the time getting 15,000 volts thru me. About then the power was shut off. A little chinese man about 90 years old then came outside the door & with a big grin asked me "to fix sign you need power on-right?" I said something stupid like " no thank you, please leave power off". Then I cimbed out, down the crane & disconnected the power at the base of the sign pole like I should have done in the first place.
  11. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark

Sage advice from the Professor ..... [​IMG]

I hate power poles..... :mad:... if I had dime for every foot of phone wire

that I've pulled through them.... I'd buy General Motors...:eek:
  12. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

My advice is not to work on electrical circuits when you're already not feeling well. I was doing power-on checks on some new 150 HP AC motor drives I had a crew install one summer with a BAD sinus infection and almost touched my pinky to the bare power lugs on one phase of the incoming 3-phase 480VAC disconnect. Talk about waking you up to the dangers of live circuits... :eek: The electrician behind me said, "you almost got lit up..." :eek: