The Firearms Forum banner

Electronic Calls

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  dbcooper 
#1 ·
Hunting Cougars and small preditors What is the best electronic call available ?

#2 · (Edited)
What is your budget?

Foxpro is regarded as the top of the line as far as I know

I am just starting to get into varmint hunting and didn't have that kind of money to spend

so I bought a Flextone for $100 and could not be happier

we used it to scout for turkey last week and it brought in 2 big toms right away.

I know the Foxpro has a longer distance remote control than most other calls

#3 ·
I have a fox pro I bought 3-4 years back, still works flawlessly. We have called in lynx, fox, but have the most fun with the ravens. I've had wolves come into my bear bait barrel when my boy was in the stand, but not with call, just bait. I'd buy a low end unit, for couple hundred and then your not out as bad if you don't use it as much as you think you would. Game cameras, now they really do pay for themselves.

G
#6 ·
The Wild Fire 2 is only $200 not bad for a feature packed call like that.

Oh and Foxpro sounds are the best in the business. I spend time at Fox Pro and a few other electronic call outfits at SHOT in 2012 Fox pro sounds are crisp clear and they don't distort as much as other calls and callers when you really crank up the volume.

#7 ·
cpttango30, I've browsed the $200 ones and they do seem to have some real good features...for the price! Just havent had any "hands-on" with them or hunted with anyone that has had/used any of them.
But the features and the price...has had my attention for a while now.

#8 · (Edited)
I have been hunting small predators for a few years now my first electronioc call used casset tapes worked good. In the last year or two we have been hunting with Fox Pro NX 4 and spitfire. And we had some problems batteries and sound failure.We have hunted in temps as low as 20 bellow zero and both calls strugled to work. the NX4 in real cold would have a hard time turning on and off with average sound quality.The spit fire would stop runing half way into a calling set up. And the hand remote did not work after 50 yds even worse if you didnt have a staright view of call. I was always putting in new Duracell batteries. I thought it was time to change calls. We bought a jhonny stewart Gallows and it works great. I realey like the custom sequence program and you can play 2 calls simultaneously. So far the remote has worked out to 200 yds. And it would be hard to beat the quailty of Jhonny stweart wildlife sounds. Well thats my 2Cents worth.

#9 ·
I'd thought about the SpitFire and a couple others in the price range, but figured it'd be better to save up and buy one of the more "better" ones, if you will.
Just my opinion but, if your going to have at it and get down to buisness with preditor calling, might as well save up and go with one of the better ones.

#10 ·
What is your budget?

Foxpro is regarded as the top of the line as far as I know

I am just starting to get into varmint hunting and didn't have that kind of money to spend

so I bought a Flextone for $100 and could not be happier

we used it to scout for turkey last week and it brought in 2 big toms right away.

I know the Foxpro has a longer distance remote control than most other calls
as of today, I would like to rescind my comments about the Flextone game call

I started having trouble with it and the other morning it let me down totally during a turkey hunt. Ruined the whole morning:mad:

I'm returning it and getting a Foxpro.

you live and learn;)

#11 ·
as of today, I would like to rescind my comments about the Flextone game call

I started having trouble with it and the other morning it let me down totally during a turkey hunt. Ruined the whole morning:mad:

I'm returning it and getting a Foxpro.

you live and learn;)
Sorry to hear that dbcooper, but live and learn is true.
I'm glad you made the post as I've been seeing he Flextone's advertised more and more on the TV and wondered about them as well...but no more wondering,
thanks as per your post... :thumbsup:

(I havent had any "hands-on" with any of the flextone's, so cant add
anything)

#12 ·
Sorry to hear that dbcooper, but live and learn is true.
I'm glad you made the post as I've been seeing he Flextone's advertised more and more on the TV and wondered about them as well...but no more wondering,
thanks as per your post... :thumbsup:

(I havent had any "hands-on" with any of the flextone's, so cant add
anything)
The Pros of the Flextone from my viewpoint:

the whole thing fits in your hand and the remote can detach

The screen on the remote was clear to read day and night.
The sound was really decent I thought

The Cons:

The on/off button is right inside of the finger groove on the handle so I accidently turned the base unit off several times while using it.
Bad location for the button

The call menus are arranged by animal so you scroll through to the animal and then scroll through the particular call. When you do this, the call name flashes or scrolls and you can't read all of the text unless you press the send button to send it to the speaker unit.

The model I had, you couldn't add new calls

and the deal killer was the other morning I took it out turkey hunting and it just quit working, no sound, went bad after just 4 weeks

I just wouldn't recommend one at $100-130 when you can have a FoxPro for $200

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.