Electronic powder scales, and powder dispenser.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by glock man, Apr 26, 2009.

1. glock man

glock man New Member

I have a RCBS RangeMaster 750 Electronic Powder Scale, and a Hornandy Lock -N- Load powder measure. This past weekend I was reloading and I noticed after a few times of use the powder measure was starting to give me a little bit more powder than I set it for. I was loaded 15 rounds of .223 Remington with 24 grains of Varget powder for 5 rounds, 24.5 grains of Varget for 5 more, and 25 grains of Varget for the last 5 rounds. The bullet was a 68 grain Sierra. These are my first loads and I will shoot them on Friday. I am considering eventually getting an electronic dispenser but some of the reviews I read on Midway's web site made me consider just going to a Balance beam scale to be extra sure. The scale I use can be some what touchy and I have to make sure the powder is more or less centered in the metal pan. I am open to suggestions on weither or not I should stay with what I got or switch systems all together.
  2. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Hello Glock Man

I just got my Hornady Lock & Load AP, and I followed there recommendation to degrease the powder measure,barrel and rotor, and use a dry lube on it after it has dryed, if you already did this, then that's good, otherwise the powder will stick in the barrel, I use a RCBS 10/10, I've had it since 84, and it is hard to beat for accuracy, but I also just ordered a RCBS Range Master 750 Electric Scale, I have several friends that use this model and love it, but one of my closer friends convinced me of it accuracy, but he still resets it to zero every 10 rounds, or every 10 checks when using the progressive. I haven't got mine yet, but it will make weighing a lot faster, and safer, when I can check one scale against the other, I also ordered the Lyman check weights, I know the 750 comes with weights , I just wanted more choices, Ive worked with digital electric scales for years, and the most important thing you can do is check your zero, and tare, and keeping it clean and covered when not in use.
    I personally think you have made good choices Pard, and I know you will like your Hornady as much as I do mine, having two good scales is a plus in my opinion, and your choices are good ones. BTW my LOCK & LOAD AP works like a clock, it is the strongest sturdiest and SMOOTHEST press I've ever used, and the bullets it makes are perfect, I just realized you were just talking about the powder measure only, but it is the same measure just without the linkage, do you have the press too?

Happy Loading Pard :)

tEN wOLVES :D
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  3. glock man

glock man New Member

My Press is a lee single stage that I bought about a year ago. I also have a lee pro 1000 but am kind of afraid to use it for fear the auto disk powder system wont through the right amount of powder as I have less shall we say play room for pistol powder. I've read on this forum some where that the auto disk system sometimes wont through the right amount of powder. That being said I might just use the single stage press. I know it will be more time consuming but it will be more accurate and "build character".
  4. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Back at ya Glock Man

I load all my rifle ammo on my RCBS Rock Chucker, and handgun ammo on the Hornady, L&L AP, although I'm not afraid to load rifle ammo on the L&L, just haven't had this press long enough to do it yet, My L&L Powder measure is throwing right on power loads, and I couldn't be happier, at least right now, I hope it continues to work this well.
    Your choice to load on a single stage press is a good one, it has always worked well for me, even if it is a lot slower, it will produce some top notch ammo.
    Some guys are set up with several Lee 10000, for several different calibers, and seem to like the results, I think it all comes down to what you like and what works for you, as far as the powder measure goes the trick to better drops is keeping that area clean and dry, and when done make sure you empty the hopper out and clean everything related, the next time you load you shouldn't have any problem with the powder measure dropping accurate drops.

Enjoy your reloading Pard :)

5. glock man

glock man New Member

BTW what sort of dry lube did you use? I haven't done that and I did notice the powder stuck at the bottom.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

glock man, I use RCBS RangeMaster 750 digital scale also. I have one of the Hornady beam scales too, but the digital scale, in my opinion, is just so much easier and faster to use. I have a Dillon 550 that I use for most of the pistol ammo that I load but I also weigh about every 10th to 15th charge to be sure it is holding - so far, so good!

The first electronic scale I bought was one of those Franklin Arsenal mini scales. I could not get two charges in a row to weigh the same, so I would not recommend that brand!!
  7. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Howdy Glockman

I used the Hornady One Shot Cleaner & Drylube, It works real well, and it will keep your powder from getting sticky and messing up the works, if you can't get it you can clean with brake cleaner, and I think Liquid Wrench or Mechanics sells a clear dry lube that works well too. Make sure you let the dry lube dry thoroughly before putting everything back together, and when cleaning, do a good job of it, or you dry lube won't stick to the parts you want it to.

I see gdmoody likes the RCBS 750 Too, like I said before the beam scale is very accurate, but it is slow, I already have the 10/10/ model from RCBS, and it's been good all the time I've owned it 1984, but the 750 will give me a fast reference to bullet weight/case/powder, and will speed things up a whole lot, I like going through my bullets and separating any that are off a little, so that I can use them for my real accurate loads, using a beam scale for this will drive you nuts, and if your worried about it holding zero or weighing properly, then just use your check weights to make sure everything is right on. :):cool:

Regards

8. glock man

glock man New Member

So since I didn't clean the powder dispenser before I used it should I be worried about those 15 rounds of 223 that I loaded up? BTW I just cleaned out the powder dispenser and made a mess of powder live and learn right. Hope I don't learn the hard way. All did was wipe it down but I will hit it with some cleaner and dry lube later on this week for sure by the weekend.
  9. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Hello Glockman

I'm glad you understand the problem now, I would take the powder measure all apart, even your rotor, you want to get any oil / grease/ dirt out and off the measure, and clean it really well with Hornady One Shot Cleaner & Dry Lube, then let it all dry,if you don't have any One Shot, use a degreaser or brake cleaner,and when dry, then use your dry lube, and let it dry real well, I find the Hornady powder measure to be top notch, when dispensing powder, so when you get yours all cleaned yours will work great too. Some times we all get anxious when we want to get the job done, and over look small details, only to have them bite us in the a$$ later.
    I can't tell you how safe the ammo is that you already loaded, that's one you will have to come to grips for yourself, me I would pop the bullets out and start over, just to be on the safe side. Also remember to thoroughly clean your measure of powder after loading, this will help keep any left over powder from getting moisture on it and clumping, you shouldn't have much to clean after you use the dry lube. if you want to take the time and weigh a round that is at spec's, one that is loaded properly, then you can compare the other rounds that are in question, and then just redo the ones that are off, or if they are still within the safe margin, you might not even want to fool with them.( IMHO ) The only other thing that could go wrong, is if there was enough oil present that could have fouled the powder, something to think about, if you think there might have been then you would be better off to start over and clean your brass too.

Have a great week Pard :)