Electronic Powder Systems

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Thomas, May 10, 2004.

1. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Hi all! I'm new to the board but not new to reloading. I started many years ago.

I'd like to know if any of you have any experience with either the Lyman 1200 Digital Powder System or RCBS Powder Master Pro electronic powder systems. I've read some articles online that say the RCBS system can take up to 4 minutes to dispence 50 grains of powder! That's unacceptable to say the least! I haven't seen anything negative about the Lyman 1200 DPS but nothing overly positive either.

Anyway, if anyone has experience with either of these units, let me know what you think!

Thanks!
    Thomas
  2. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Thomas, I can't help you but welcome to TFF. I use manual dispensers. Never used electronic.
  3. knitepoet

knitepoet New Member

I've got one of the RCBS electric dispensers. I THINK it's the model you're referring to. If so, it's actually made by PACT.
    It's "ok" if you're wanting to do some load development with a particular powder. It takes approx 5 minutes for it to "calibrate" to a new powder. once it does though, just inputing thedesired charge and pressing "dispense" is a LOT easier than trying to adjust a manual measure exactly .5gr or whatever increment your working up in.
    Considering the speed..... I don't ever remember it taking 4 minutes to dispense a load. 2 minutes, yea probably:( There's a little trick that can and will increase the speed considerably. I set my manual dispenser at least 2gr lighter than desired and then use the electric dispenser to trickle in enough for the desired charge. That cuts down on my waiting time considerably.
    Paul
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

What knitepoet said. I have the PACT unit and use it only for load development. I use an RCBS manual to meter in about a grain low and use the PACT unit as a trickler system. Very accurate charges.

Welcome to TFF Thomas!